Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StuGar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2013
Hello all, I am looking to purchase new RAM for my August 2007 iMac. It has become almost unbearably slow these days. I have already upgraded my software to the fullest extent and defragged my hard drive, but the results were underwhelming.

According to my system profiler I have the following:
Memory 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Would someone be kind enough to point me in the right direction to purchasing new RAM cards? I would love to double the amount, but any increase would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for the help,
Stu Gar

Nov 28, 2010
located
That iMac, I have/had the same, can take up to 6 GB of 200-pin 667 MHz DDR2 SO-DIMM RAM, seen here.
If you are US bound, you can get 4 GB from Newegg for around 80 USD, 6 GB (one 2 GB and one 4 GB module) probably costs you a bit more.

Maybe also think about getting an SSD into it, iFixIt.com has comprehensive guides, as does YouTube. I did it twice, open my iMac, to replace the 250 GB HDD with a 500 GB HDD and then again with an SSD, and also to remove the wonky ODD at some point. Many screws though, many.

Last edited:

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Hello all, I am looking to purchase new RAM for my August 2007 iMac. It has become almost unbearably slow these days. I have already upgraded my software to the fullest extent and defragged my hard drive, but the results were underwhelming.

According to my system profiler I have the following:
Memory 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Would someone be kind enough to point me in the right direction to purchasing new RAM cards? I would love to double the amount, but any increase would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for the help,
Stu Gar

Hey StuGar - welcome to the forums.

The Aug 2007 iMac (with 2400 Radeon HD or 2600 Radeon HD Pro GPU) can hold a max of 6GB PC2-5300 DDR2 SO-DIMM RAM.

Generally, it's best to purchase from your preferred vendors: for me that would be...
- MacSales - Link to your memory
- Crucial - Link to your memory
- Or Ebay, assuming you know exactly what you're after (which you now do)

Hope this helps!

That iMac, I have/had the same, ....-cut-
Beat me to it (again!).

Nice suggestion on the SSD btw

StuGar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2013
Thank you both for the expedient and detailed responses, I will be ordering some upgrades shortly.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Beat me to it (again!).

Nice suggestion on the SSD btw

Of course. Where I am it is always posting time, regardless of being in Orange or that other town you now moved to. Do you by any chance speak Cantonese or as it has been a former English protectorate, can get more than by with English? The jet lag must be almost not noticeable.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Of course. Where I am it is always posting time, regardless of being in Orange or that other town you now moved to. Do you by any chance speak Cantonese or as it has been a former English protectorate, can get more than by with English? The jet lag must be almost not noticeable.

Posting time is fun time! Unfortunately work and general life has consumed me - trying to get back into it. I speak a tiny tiny bit now, but English is all that's needed to get around, no jet lag only 2 hrs difference in time. :)

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Does the brand matter. On my ram stick it says 5300s. Can I install a stick that doesn't have. The s

Brand does not matter, unless you're buying cheap in which case you best research first.

That's Crucial memory? The "S" is for "SO-DIMM" memory (aka, laptop memory - which is what the iMac takes) and ones without the "S" are generic DIMM (aka, desktops).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.