RAM Upgrade for 2.8GHz 24" iMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tshrtkng, Feb 25, 2008.

1. tshrtkng macrumors newbie

Hello, I just got a 2.8GHz iMac 24" and want to upgrade the RAM from 2 to 4GB. I see that Apple uses SAMSUNG RAM and that there are many different vendors out there. Im wondering if BRAND should be a concern. I found
    4GB of CORSAIR RAM for $99
    or
    4GB of CRUCIAL RAM for $ 99 SEE LINKS BELOW

Please advise me if I am on the right track???

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ook+Memory)-_-Corsair+Memory++Inc.-_-20145193
    ---------------
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148159

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Corsair, Crucial, or Kingston will work fine, and are usually of high enough quality for your Mac. Others would work, but those are the most commonly used.

TEG

3. catfish743 macrumors 6502

catfish743

I have a 2GB stick of Crucial ram in with the pre set 1 GB from apple. I don't think brand matters all too much.

4. jvette macrumors 6502

jvette

I have 4gig of Samsung in my Imac 2.8 and 4 gig of OWC in my Imac 2.4. Both run the same. Other World Computing is a good place to look for ram. Check them out. I purchased both upgrades from them.

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

There is no point in buying the 800 MHz Crucial - it will not make the Mac any faster. Stick to 667 MHz RAM.

I prefer sticking with a reputable, Apple-aware dealer who tests and guarantees compatibility with your model Mac, offers free warranty shipping for DOA modules, and a no cost return (no restocking, no shipping) if it doesn't work. NewEgg offers none of the above.

MR Guide To Buying RAM

6. tshrtkng thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks For Your Help

Thank you all for your help.
    I purchased 4gb of Crucial Ram Today Direct from Crucial as NewEgg only had it in 800 version. I ordered the 667 ram as you suggested. Ended up costing $119 with tax and shipping.

I did see the OWC was less expensive but had not heard any good things about it till just now.

Really appreciate all the help!

Joe