RAM Upgrade for 2007 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SandboxGeneral, Oct 14, 2010.

1. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I have a MBP circa 2007 when they first started putting the Intel processors in them. It has 2GB of RAM in it now and I have OS/X Snow Leopard on it.

Will this model support a higher capacity of RAM than 2GB?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Looks like it's the Santa Rosa MBP which means it supports up to 6GB of RAM (4GB+2GB).

3. SandboxGeneral thread starter Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

That sounds great. How do I confirm if I have the "Santa Rosa" model? Then do you have a brand of RAM you recommend?

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

If it is 2.4GHz, then it is because there was no 2.4GHz MBP before Santa Rosa. Just to make sure, go to  -> About this Mac -> More Info. There is should say MacBook Pro and under it should say MacBook Pro 3,1. If it's 3,1 or newer/bigger, then it does support 6GB.

OWC is a good place to buy, it's 100% compatible.

5. SandboxGeneral thread starter Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Groovy, thanks! I'll check the spec when I get home to my MBP.

:)

6. SandboxGeneral thread starter Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Looks like I forgot the speed of my MBP processor when I originally posted this. :eek:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro2,2
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.33 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 4 MB
    Memory: 2 GB
    Bus Speed: 667 MHz
    Boot ROM Version: MBP22.00A5.B07
    SMC Version (system): 1.12f5
    Serial Number (system): W870537CW0H
    Hardware UUID: 00000000-0000-1000-8000-0017F2CEF2D2
    Sudden Motion Sensor:
    State: Enabled

So I must assume that because this is a model 2,2 that the RAM is probably already maxed out for what it can handle. Am I right?

7. charlieroberts macrumors 6502a

charlieroberts

time to upgrade?

Sorry mate but it is maxed out.

EDIT: Also, people like to obscure their Serial Numbers in their posts, not quite sure why but maybe it would be wise to do the same? Just trying to save you from possible trouble, , although I would appreciate it if someone pointed out why people do this.

8. paintballswimgu macrumors 6502

Thats a pre-santa rosa macbook. It was built week 5 of 2007, SR didn't come out until June.

Also, people don't typically show their serial number because someone could report them stolen, is the logic, i assume.

9. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It can take up to 4GB but only 3GB would be recognized. You could buy one 2GB module to make it 3GB, that's 50% more RAM and will definitely help

10. zero85ZEN macrumors regular

This works. I'm running two matching 2GB modules on mine. It only sees 3GB but you do get a slight speed benefit from running matching DIMMS.

11. SandboxGeneral thread starter Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

It seems odd to me to have a computer only recognize 3 GB of RAM and not 2 or 4. Why the odd amount?

I'll likely get 4 GB and let it run recognizing 3 GB.

12. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It's because of memory overlap

http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...ore-2-duo-3-gb-memory-limitation-details.html

13. SandboxGeneral thread starter Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

OK, that makes sense.

So I'll get this RAM instead of what you had recommended earlier when I wasn't sure exactly which MBP I had.

Yeah, I got mine in February of 2007.

I'm not concerned about posting my serial number and I did consider it before I posted. I don't believe there is anything someone could do with it that could affect me in any way. Unless they hacked Apple's database and got my name. That I think isn't likely to happen [Apple getting hacked] though.

14. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yeah, that RAM will work. This will work too if you want to save few dollars.

15. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

You can install up to 3GB in the Early MacBook Pro models (2.16GHz, 2.33GHz). You have to install the 2GB module in the bottom slot (I believe) and the 1GB module in the top slot, but you can install two 2GB modules also, however the machine will only address 3GB of RAM. The Santa Rosa models will actually address up to 6GB of RAM, although Apple only cited them as having capacity for 4GB. Current MacBook Pro models can take up to 8GB, as you know.

16. SandboxGeneral thread starter Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

OK, I'm confused now, but seemingly happy!

So I ordered the 4GB (2x2) of OWC RAM that Hellhammer recommended (thank you) expecting to only utilize 3GB out of the 4GB, but after I booted up the system is recognizing 4GB! This confuses me a little as everyone has said that it won't see 4GB because of the age and model of MBP this is. So far it's running great and I can see a noticeable difference in speed. Applications such as Gimp which I used to crop the images loaded a lot faster than before, just as I would expect when upgrading from 2GB of RAM to more. Here are the screen shots, please tell me what you think.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. SandboxGeneral thread starter Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

OK... I found it

So I checked the Activity Monitor and there it shows the 3GB system memory. It's really weird that the System Information shows 4GB and the Activity Monitor shows 3GB. Why the discrepancy? Obviously some part of the computer recognizes the 4GB but why not all of it?

[​IMG]

18. Biscotti macrumors regular

I bought a 2GB module for my MBP to add to the 1GB module for a total of 3GB's. I don't think you will really see much of a difference in real world speeds between that and matching 2GB dimm's. It's funny how 3GB's used to be "so much RAM", but now I'm constantly using 2GB+ easily.

19. SandboxGeneral thread starter Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I remember way back when, when I had upgraded my PC to 384MB of RAM. it was nearly unheard of to have that much at the time. I lived on the bleeding edge of technology in the 90's and spent A LOT of money on the latest stuff. With that 384MB of RAM I thought I was on top of the world, had the fastest most powerful PC around.

What's really funny is how fast technology outpaces everything else.

20. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

4GB is recognized but only 3GB can be utilized. I think I linked this to you earlier but just in case I didn't, take a look at it.

21. SandboxGeneral thread starter Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Oh yes, that's right. I did read that before, but I forgot; I apologize. Too bad I can't swap out the chipset!

But with the extra 1GB of RAM utilization, I do notice the difference so it is helpful nonetheless.