RAM upgrade for 27" 2010 3.2GHz iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ENVY16, Nov 6, 2011.

1. ENVY16 macrumors newbie

I find myself wanting to upgrade the 4GB RAM on my iMac to be able to give Parrallels Desktop more RAM to play with and thus make my Windows 7 virtual machine more powerful and more of a gaming machine (that would help right?) Right now I can only give Parrallels 1GB of RAM, anymore and the whole computer turns into a dribbling moron.

I've got 2 slots free so I want to put in 2 4GB RAM upgrades for an extra 8GB. I'm pretty uneducated in this department about which brands to buy, what's overpriced and etc. I'm only a 19 year old University student so I can't afford to fork out loads of money. I've had a look around online and found some examples.

Example 1

Example 2

Example 3

Is this the kind of product and asking price that I'm after or are these the type of things to avoid? Also, is there a particular brand that are good value for money and reliable products?

Thanks for any advice you can give :)

2. The-Pro macrumors 65816

Get the crucial memory.
    Tons of people on these forums have crucial memory in their iMacs and I have yet to hear from someone with problems.

3. N0ddie macrumors 6502

N0ddie

As RAM is so cheap at the minute I'd suggest going the full hog and max the RAM your iMac can take.

I've got RAM from crucial a few times (For different computers) and have found their service superb.

4. Boogsephine macrumors 6502

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002YU83YO

I bought 4 of those for my 27" iMac and they offered free 2 day shipping. I ordered at 10:30PM Wednesday night and the RAM was here on Friday at about 12 noon.

Easy to install and paid less than $100 for 16GB of memory.

5. lali macrumors regular