Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

webcity

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2011
United Kingdom
I've got a 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo Macbook Pro (MacBookPro5,1). I think it's the first unibody model. It's currently got 4GB DDR3 Ram in but I want to improve the performance when using Parallels so want to upgrade the Ram.

What is the maximum ram this Macbook Pro can take? I tried the Crucial System Scanner and it said maximum was 4GB but wondering if anyone here knows better.

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
I've got a 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo Macbook Pro (MacBookPro5,1). I think it's the first unibody model. It's currently got 4GB DDR3 Ram in but I want to improve the performance when using Parallels so want to upgrade the Ram.

What is the maximum ram this Macbook Pro can take? I tried the Crucial System Scanner and it said maximum was 4GB but wondering if anyone here knows better.

You are already at max with 4g

webcity

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2011
United Kingdom
Thanks for the replies. I've taken a gamble and ordered a 2x4GB kit as it was only £35. If I can only use half of it, no big loss eh?

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
I installed 6 GB in my 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo iMac 7,1

I just ran the Crucial Scanner and it said .....

Maximum Memory: 4 GB
Currently Installed Memory: 6 GB

All indications are the 6 GB is working fine. I was told it could use 6 but not 8 so I only bought 4 GB to add to it.

I went from 3 GB to 6 GB and immediately noticed a difference.

webcity

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2011
United Kingdom
I installed 6 GB in my 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo iMac 7,1

I just ran the Crucial Scanner and it said .....

Maximum Memory: 4 GB
Currently Installed Memory: 6 GB

All indications are the 6 GB is working fine. I was told it could use 6 but not 8 so I only bought 4 GB to add to it.

I went from 3 GB to 6 GB and immediately noticed a difference.

Thanks for your reply. It's really only to give a bit more ram to Windows 7 in Parallels so even going from 4GB to 6GB would be great and I'll always have a spare 4GB for if/when I upgrade my machine :)

Lukus

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2008
Sorry for the sort-of hijack, but I suspect this might help the OP too...

I have a late-2008 MacBookPro5,1 too (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4132). When I bought it, I upgraded to 4GB, but had no option of going higher. Apple support site says that this model has a max capacity of 4GB (http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1270#link5).

So this isn't true? If firmware is needed to upgrade, could someone provide a link to verify?

I want to put 8GB in mine, but don't want to waste my money if it's not possible.

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.