RAM Upgrade for my MacBook Pro 13 inch

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by turbocrow, Jan 20, 2013.

1. turbocrow, Jan 20, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2013

turbocrow macrumors newbie

I have 4gb atm and I would like to upgrade to 8gb to get more Vram for the HD4000. (I game in windows a wee bit and some games are on the verge of playing)

Would it be worth while ? cheers and thanks.
    My mac is not slow at all tbh I am clean freak in the sense windows can not stay opened if I am not using them haha. So the Ram would be for the GPU only although in saying that in the summer time I will be editing videos (gaming reviews etc used to do it until school life took over and I sold my PC)

Thanks people :)

Edit: another thing that I forgot to mention is what ram to buy im from the UK and I am clueless ! please someone link me thanks for the comments btw :)

2. raymond lin macrumors regular

3. CocoSS macrumors member

I also upgraded my RAM to 8 GB. Very easy to do, check youtube videos. I mostly needed the upgrade for running virtual machines. The mac definitely didn't need 8 GB for what I use it for :)

4. NewishMacGuy macrumors 6502a

NewishMacGuy

Not sure that it's going to be a great help to you for your gaming purposes.

1. The increase in reserved VRAM happens under MacOS, not sure if that will translate to Windows from Bootcamp.

2. Even if it does I believe that set aside is a minimum, which means that unless you're using all the other RAM currently, it won't make any difference.

3. Even if you are using all the other RAM, additional RAM for your graphics chip doesn't help you all that much, it's the processing power that really counts and the only way to improve that is with a dGPU.

All that being said, if you only have 4GB RAM, you're likely to see a significant performance increase in your everyday computing because 4GB isn't really enough to run OSX 10.8.2 (or 10.7.4) without pageouts to your HDD unless your usage pattern is very light.

__

5. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

You're using a 64-bit version of Windows in Bootcamp, right? Without a 64-bit OS you're going to get NO benefit from 8 GB vs. 4 GB of RAM. A 32-bit OS can not address more than ~3.75 GB of RAM, a 64-bit OS can address significantly more.

6. turbocrow thread starter macrumors newbie

I know :) I am just wondering where and what is the best ram to get 4 x 4 wise and should I keep the old sticks incase this mac breaks :) (got three years warranty)

7. wabbit42 macrumors regular

I'm assuming you are talking about the mid 2012 13".

I upgraded to 8GB of Crucial ram. Works great.

8. turbocrow thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I believe so lol :) do you have a link thanks :)

9. Swiss-G macrumors 6502a

Swiss-G

The link was in the post.

If you go to http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/drammemory.aspx and select scan my system it will give you a list of compatible products for your MBP.

10. snaky69 macrumors 603

Just so you know, adding more VRAM will not help gaming performance of your laptop in any way, shape or form(I really mean it, it won't help, AT ALL). The Intel 4000HD is not meant for gaming, and no amount of RAM will help that, it just doesn't have the processing power, period.

In other words, upgrading for that reason is both a waste of your time and your hard earned money. If you want to game, buy something else such as a cheap desktop PC or a console.

11. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

Only true of Windows and non-PAE Linux. OSX uses PAE as well as most linux distro's..early Intel Mac's were limited to 3GB but that was a chipset limitation not an OS limitation

12. robvas macrumors 68020

Right - the entire system can use more but each process is limited to 2 or 3GB

13. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

No..

32bit with PAE the system can "see" 64GB..32bit applications can only use 4GB per application. 64bit applications can use all available memory..

14. turbocrow thread starter macrumors newbie

sweet thanks people I will be video editing also !