RAM Upgrade (iMac 10,1) - discuss the options

Discussion in 'iMac' started by xghostofme, Apr 9, 2013.

1. xghostofme macrumors newbie

hey folks, was doing a bunch of research but the info I found in the forums was rather inconsistent, which began to confuse me. haven't found anything that directly addressed my questions.

I have an iMac 10,1, late 2009 model.
    the specs state that I need 204-pin 1066MHz PC3-8500 SO-DIMM, and it seems it must be 4x4GB.

my first question is:
    is it preferable or important to buy 1 single kit of 4x4GB (as opposed to 2 kits of 2x4GB) if I'm looking to max out my memory to the stated maximum, which is 16GB? I read that this has to do with the way 1 set's chips ("4x4GB" x1) are tested together at the exact same time, rather than 2 sets' chips ("2x4GB" x2) being tested at their different, respective dates of manufacturing.

even though the brand, model, and specs may be the same... I read that there is still a chance that the 2 different sets may not get along, as the testing on each date may not line up - one with the other - for some reason. does this apply to the way the 4 slots in my iMac 10,1 function? or is there some feature in the motherboard that allows for 2 sets of 2x4GB to work efficiently and flawlessly (being that they're the same brand, model, specs, etc).

next question: 4x4GB chips... or 2x8GB chips?
    I've seen some users report that they've maxed out their iMac 10,1 (late 2009) to 32GBs... meaning that they used 4x8GBs chips (in some cases 1333MHz). I believe the system dumbs down the RAM to 16GBs at 1066MHz, because that's all the motherboard can handle. but this would mean that 2x8GB chips would likely fit.. and work?

2 somewhat elaborate questions. any answers would be greatly appreciated! thank you :)

2. iF34R macrumors 6502a

iF34R

Can you post the rest of the specs? Is it 21" or 27"? Which CPU?

3. xghostofme thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess that would help you help me eh? I should have included that.

It is a 27" model with 4 slots.
    Processor: 3.06Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Current Memory: 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Thanks man

4. iF34R macrumors 6502a

iF34R

Was hoping you had an i5 or i7, making it an 11,1 model instead of being the 10,1. :(

Unfortunately, it won't max out at 32GB. Just 16GB can be addressed by that CPU. I know there have been "reports" of it being maxed out at 32GB, so I did search for something to dispute my info. I didn't find anything that would help ya. OWC even did tests and the iMac wouldn't boot ~ http://blog.macsales.com/17059-late-2009-core-i5-i7-imacs-owc-maxram-certified-to-32gb-of-memory

Sorry.

5. xghostofme thread starter macrumors newbie

hey thanks for looking into it for me. i'm actually not looking to install 32GBs RAM, simply because that's excessive and i know the iMac wouldn't support beyond the initial 16GBs. the reason i brought that point up though was because i wanted to know if my motherboard would accept two 8GB chips, as opposed to four 4GB chips... to get to the 16GB max.

6. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath