Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

psychedelia

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
Hi!
So i bought a pair of Hypertec 40Y7735-HY (2 GB,DDR2 SDRAM,667 MHz, SO DIMM 200-pin) to upgrade my old Macbook Pro early 2008 (Penryn I belieive).

So after installing the two new sticks, the computer won't boot. However, when pulling one of the new sticks out replacing it with the old one the computer starts and reads 3 GB of memory. Trying the same setup with the other new stick together with the old stick, same result.

I've googled and searched around, and I see similar stories with 800 Mhz incompatible memory, but surely the memory i bought is 667 Mhz, and the work independently.

Does anyone have any good advice on this matter (besides of course, don't be a cheap ass and buy more expensive memory ;D)?

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
Perhaps you are missing a firmware update? You should be able to put 4GB+2GB in there for a total of 6GB.

psychedelia

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
Perhaps you are missing a firmware update? You should be able to put 4GB+2GB in there for a total of 6GB.

It's got the latest firmware updates (running 10.7.52 or whatever the last to digits are). And I'm even only trying to run 4 GB, so I really don't get it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.