RAM upgrade MBP Pro late 2011

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by xadros, Sep 14, 2015.

1. xadros macrumors member

Hello, I have MBP 2011
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and I recently upgraded from HDD to SSD and that was awesome decision, now with decreasing ram prices I want to upgrade ram. Will it by noticable on my mac? Thank you.

2. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

I do not think you will see a big difference, but your current 4 Gb is the minimum. I would recommend going to at least 8 Gb. There will probably be many who will say go to 16 Gb since RAM is cheap now, but I'm not sure you need to since I do not know how you use your computer.

3. xadros thread starter macrumors member

I use it only for basic work - just safari, itunes, word and some other build-in stuff. But in Safari I can see that some pages are laggy and sometimes youtube videos too. Can small size of ram affect this?

4. Tankmaze macrumors 68000

Tankmaze

Just use the full 16 GB ram if the price difference not significant. Too much ram is not a bad thing :)

5. xadros thread starter macrumors member

I know it's better, but if the difference from now will by little or none. I want to stay with 4GB. And that's what I want to figure out. I use my mac for most time with safari (facebook, youtube etc.) and sometime I need to switch to another app like Word quickly.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Restart then use your Mac for a while like you normally would. Then open Activity Monitor and look in the Memory tab at the bottom. If memory pressure is in the green, you do not need more memory.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201464

See the memory section of this Appel support document.

7. xadros thread starter macrumors member

No it never get from green. But sometimes when I'm scrolling long page (just as facebook message history) my mac is loading for a long time or when I'm loading some websites, mac stucks for a while. Is this ram problem?

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

If that is in the green, you do not need more memory. Some sites do that for me in Safari also and more memory won't fix it.

9. chipchen macrumors 6502

To me, 4GB of RAM is unbearable... I'd highly consider 16GB as it's fairly cheap nowadays. I don't see prices coming down anymore... in fact.. as this speed memory gets older, it will command more of a premium as it stops getting sold.

10. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

That doesn't sound like a RAM problem. I would say that 8GB will be a good upgrade all round for use as a cache for your whole system but that may not help this issue at all

Try installing Adblock as a plug in on safari and also click to flash to stop flash videro automatically running this may help on those big, advert filled web pages.

11. xadros thread starter macrumors member

Yes I have adblock installed and flash removed.