Ram upgrade new 2012 macbook pro's

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Fouracre44, Jun 11, 2012.

1. Fouracre44 macrumors regular

Hi guys,

I will be purchasing a 15" macbook pro, when they are announced. Well, realistically not for a week or two. I want this machine to last, so I want to upgrade the ram, my question is, does this void my warranty / applecare and what ram is compatible with the mbp's?

Thanks

2. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Can't say for sure 100% on either one until they're announced.

Most likely RAM will still be user upgradeable without voiding the warranty.

3. propaintballa macrumors newbie

I'm also going to purchase one and had the same kind of question in my mind…

I think the question we should be asking is…

Is it even upgradable? Looking at the Apple video, it looks soldered. I really hope it isn't...

----------

Just noticed

4. tungo529 macrumors member

I was in the store today and asked one of the business employees (guys wearing black shirts, who only deal with business employees) and he told me specifically, that the retina models had the RAM soldered in and should you want the 16GB RAM upgrade, you will have to configure it as you build the computer. That blows bologna!

You cannot upgrade it on your own.

I forgot to ask about the non-retina models, but it didn't even cross my mind as that was not what I was looking for.

5. Stetrain macrumors 68040

I guessed wrong. The Retina 15" has soldered RAM and a non-soldered, somewhat proprietary SSD, just like the Air.