RAM upgrade, now beeping even with old RAM

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Holgal, Jun 28, 2012.

1. Holgal macrumors newbie

Hi

I have an iMac bought late 2007. Have had 1x2gb and 1x1gb which has been working fine.
    Purchased 2gb today to replace the 1gb and now both 2gbs don't work, I get the one beep. Have tried each individually in each slot - beeps. Original 2x1gb work fine. Inserting them in straight, not handling chip, pressing them in firmly. It's driving me crazy! Can anyone help please?

Thank you

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Most problems like this result from the RAM not being properly inserted. Many times, it takes more pressure to properly seat the RAM than you might expect.

3. Holgal thread starter macrumors newbie

I feel like if I push harder I may break it. Is it possible to break it?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Sure, it's possible, but make sure you don't let it bend. Push in firmly at the proper angle, and don't let the angle change.

5. joe-h2o macrumors 6502a

You'll know when it's seated properly because the clips will be slightly over the edge of the chip.

Make sure you're putting it into the slot properly - go in at an angle, then press downwards to engage the clips. Don't try to push the RAM in "flat" to start with - they will end up flat in the socket, but you have to start with the chips at an angle above the clips.

Like this in a side on view:

___./ --> ___._

The other thing to be careful about is static electricity. It can damage electronic components like RAM and computers. I have never had a problem with careful handling of RAM chips, but make sure you're grounded (an ESD wrist strap is probably overkill but can't hurt) and you're not wearing anything that can build up static charge.