RAM upgrade on 5,2(2009) Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by hrsetrdr, Sep 7, 2014.

1. hrsetrdr macrumors member

hrsetrdr

According to "about the Mac" it is currently using:
    Size: 1 GB
    Type: DDR2 SDRAM
    Speed: 667 MHz

I'd like to give this Macbook a boost, what would be a decent Make/Model RAM module? Maximum amount(GB) of course. :)

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

3. hrsetrdr thread starter macrumors member

hrsetrdr

Oops, that was actually 2x1GB. Yes, I'm thinking that 2x2GB RAM plus ditching the 5400rpm. hdd for a decent ssd would breath life back into this aging MacBook.

4. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

For the 4 2010 whitebooks I have refurbed I put in 8GB and a Samsung EVO 840 500GB SDD. They run like a new machine.

It seems as if you can put two 2GB sticks for a total of 4GB or one 2GB and 14GB stock for a total of 6GB.

http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...duo-2.0-white-13-early-2009-nvidia-specs.html

5. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

Easy to get 4GB of RAM in these guys ($50-$60), and a cheap 120GB SSD like a SanDisk Ultra Plus is $60 on Newegg, or a Crucial MX100 runs around $75-$80.

All in all, you can have a new SSD and 4GB RAM for about $120 shipped that will make it feel like a whole new computer. Also make sure you're running at least Snow Leopard or Mavericks depending what you're doing with it. Snow Leopard is by far the fastest, but Mavericks is current with security patches and the latest apps.

Plus you can easily get a Snow Leopard install disk straight from Apple if you're on the original OS (Leopard) or use another Mac to download Mavericks and use a USB flash drive to install it. You can also clone your HDD, but I prefer the clean install method.

Best of luck!
    I've got the same machine and I've installed 4GB RAM and a 120GB SanDisk SSD and it boots under 20 seconds and flies through Adobe CS5, Office, Chrome, iTunes, and the like.

6. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

The only bad thing about maxiing out memory and putting in an SSD in older machines......kicking yourself for not doing it earlier. ;)

7. cm0ski macrumors newbie

Sorry if this is a bit off topic, but how does the 5,2 MacBook only have DDR2 667 MHz RAM when the 5,1 comes with DDR3 1333 MHz?

8. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Easy answer.
    The Macbook5,1 is an aluminum unibody, with a lot of changes, such as Mini DisplayPort, and a multi-touch trackpad.
    The MacBook5,2 remained with the older style white polycarbonate case, along with the older memory bus, basic trackpad, etc.

I thought the 5,1 SHOULD have been named a MacBook Pro, as it would fit in better with that line. I couldn't tell you why Apple decided to leave it with the MacBook name, other than the 13-inch screen size. The 5,1 was an additional model, while the 4,1 was slightly upgraded, but continued to be sold. The 5,1 was "replaced" by the MacBookPro5,5 model. The 4,1 continued on to the 5,2 with the older MacBook "features", along with keeping the DDR2 for another year, when the Macbook6,1 was released with DDR3.

9. Jkj12 macrumors member

Isn't it possible to run 8gb RAM in the 2009s with the EFI update?

10. hrsetrdr thread starter macrumors member

hrsetrdr

That's it in a nutshell. ;)

Soon I'll have an[almost] brand-new 2009 Macbook, thanks to all for the input.