Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mackecco

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2004
Hi all!
I am a new mac user, I bougth an ibook g4 1,2 gHz on december the 3rd; I'd like to upgrade the ram and two days ago I bougth this module from an italian shop:
Kingmax MSDC22D-38KX SODDR-266 512MB KINGMAX TBGA 200PIN.

My ibook doesn't want to recognize it; if I rebbot with the cd for the hardware test it recognize the module during the test but says that there is an error on the start procedure and the mac os always shows the 256 ram amount.
What could be wrong? I'm pretty sure I have done everything in the right way... :(

Do you know a ram that works good with an ibook g4 1,2 ghz?

Please help me!

thank you very much!!

Francesco

Littleodie914

macrumors 68000
Jun 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
mackecco said:
Hi all!
I am a new mac user, I bougth an ibook g4 1,2 gHz on december the 3rd; I'd like to upgrade the ram and two days ago I bougth this module from an italian shop:
Kingmax MSDC22D-38KX SODDR-266 512MB KINGMAX TBGA 200PIN.

My ibook doesn't want to recognize it; if I rebbot with the cd for the hardware test it recognize the module during the test but says that there is an error on the start procedure and the mac os always shows the 256 ram amount.
What could be wrong? I'm pretty sure I have done everything in the right way... :(

Do you know a ram that works good with an ibook g4 1,2 ghz?

Please help me!

thank you very much!!

Francesco
Hmm... Right off hand I don't see anything wrong with the RAM you bought. I've never heard of Kingmax... Are they a reputable company? Here's the Crucial page that tells you what type of RAM your iBook will take. If all else fails, and you truly do have the right RAM, try just taking it back and getting a new stick from a different company. I bought a 512MB stick for my iMac from PNY (at our local Best Buy), and it's working just great.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
You don't have it seated all the way.

When you put it into the slot, you should have no more than a sliver of the gold connectors showing once installed...

I had a bugger with this when I installed my RAM into the iBook.

Push it in hard, and then snap it down.

expergo

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2004
yeah...i don't think its' in properly either.

i use that exact ram in my ibook and first time it didnt' show up so i checked it again and needed to push it in a little further til it sorta clicked into place.

dontpanic

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2004
on the subject of ram upgrades if i stick in another 256 or 512 of memory in what kind of speed increase should i expect to get

expergo

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2004
dontpanic said:
on the subject of ram upgrades if i stick in another 256 or 512 of memory in what kind of speed increase should i expect to get

mm...i used a p3 550 running winxp for 2-3 years before i got my ibook in november...everything was alright except for playing games or any hardcore editing stuff...there was probably a small delay to open things like email and webstuff but i got used to it and when i switched to mac, my ibook felt like the same speed wiht 256ram. but i decdied to get more because i wanted to enjoy the whole mac experneice (lol) and now everything is quick and i don't have to worry abou waiting for things to open or close (except safari which is weird)...and i can run multiply stuff without lag. so i think it's pretty worth it. i c an definitely feel the diff. i bought a stick of 512. :p

mackecco

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2004
thanx!!

expergo said:
yeah...i don't think its' in properly either.

i use that exact ram in my ibook and first time it didnt' show up so i checked it again and needed to push it in a little further til it sorta clicked into place.

yesssss!
As you suggested i pushed it (I was afraid of breaking something)..and..everything is fine!!

:D :D :D

thank you!!!

F

dendave

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2005
Ram in that dim

You gotta ram the sucker in hard! And boy those screws are ridiculously small!!

I must say that even with the upgrade the performance on the ibook is rather dissapointing.. It's still a decent deal for the price but it ain't a screamer...

I do like the battery life and I wonder if the additional ram will reduce the battery life noticably..

TIP: Keep your airport off unless you are using it, it's a power-bitch..

Mertzen

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2004
]KLGA[
It always amazes me how much force you need to insert SODIMMs .. well good that is is working now ..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.