Ram Upgrade on Macbook...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by noodlz1472, Feb 15, 2009.

1. noodlz1472 macrumors member

Hi everyone,

I just bought a new macbook (aluminum w/ 2gb ram) and was already thinking of upgrading after reading a few posts. I was thinking of going from 2gb DDR3 ram to 4gb DDR2 ram. I have a few questions based on this...

1-What is the difference between DDR2 and DDR3 ram?
    2-Would you recommend upgrading as I am planning?
    3-I've read crucial ram is the best option? Is this accurate?
    4-Should I install the ram, or have Apple install it? Keep in mind I have no clue about the inside of computers.

Here is the link...
    http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=FF1F93F9A5CA7304&cat=RAM

Thanks!!!

2. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

DDR2 is not compatible with your computer. it has to be the exact same specifications as what is in your computer. go to crucial.com and have them scan your system so you get the kind of RAM you need.

DDR3 RAM is much faster than DDR2. it is newer technology and the DDR2 and DDR3 RAM are even physically different

3. Stetrain macrumors 68040

4. wahoo10 macrumors 6502

1-What is the difference between DDR2 and DDR3 ram?
    >>DDR3 is faster, newer technology.
    2-Would you recommend upgrading as I am planning?
    >>If you're running resource hogging programs (video, pictures, games), or plan to run Parallels/VMfusion, you should upgrade. Even if you don't do any of these, you'll see a difference in day-to-day tasks, just don't expect it be be mind-blowingly different.
    3-I've read crucial ram is the best option? Is this accurate?
    >>Depends. RAM is RAM. There are cheaper options that have a higher rate of failure, and there are more expensive options that other than having a lesser chance of failing, aren't all that much better. Go look at reviews on places like newegg and search around on here.
    4-Should I install the ram, or have Apple install it? Keep in mind I have no clue about the inside of computers.
    >>You can install it just fine if you have a brain and screwdriver. Look in your manual or online for instructions. It's really quite simple! Remember: line up the slots, and give it a little oomph.

Just remember, Apple may not service your computer under warranty with 3rd party RAM. So, either make the sacrifice and get it from Apple (you can still buy it from them afterhand i'm pretty sure) since it isn't that much more expensive, or keep your Apple RAM around, just in case.

5. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

the only way that apple would refuse to service after upgrading your RAM is if you damage something, which if you're careful, you won't.

the main thing is to get the correct size screwdriver. people who don't use the right one report stripping the heads of the screws.

6. noodlz1472 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks everyone. I figured the DDR3 was faster - so I prob shouldnt of even thought about technically downgrading...

I'll do a scan on crucial's site - thanks for your help again...

7. greenn17h macrumors newbie

8. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

The link you provided is for 2GB of RAM, which the MacBook already has.

Bryan