RAM Upgrade Question..... Again

Discussion in 'iMac' started by audiotek, Apr 1, 2017.

1. audiotek macrumors newbie

I've red a few threads on RAM upgrade and consulted this document that I found on this forum but I would like to triple check before I order from bestbuy online tonight.
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201191

Here's the specs for the iMac I want to upgrade

iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2011)
    Processor 2.5GHz Intel Core i5
    Memory 4GB 1333MHz DDR3

I want to upgrade so it will last me for a long time so I was thinking of a pair of Crucial 16GB DDR3 SDRAM (2x8GB)
    Would those sticks work in that iMac?

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...am-memory-module-ct2k8g3s1339m/10426957.aspx?

I'm also installing a Samsung 850EVO SSD so it's worth the upgrade.

Also how hard is it to install RAM in a iMac? Looks very simple form what I red so far but never played on Mac before

Thanks

2. purpletalon55 macrumors member

Yes those sticks would work, I would recommend 16gb instead of 32 you will never use 32gb if you aren't video editing. 8 is good enough for 98% of people heck ive never used more and I edit 1080p videos that are 2 hours long regularly.

As to the SSD thats a good choice it will speed the computer up a good bit.

As to installing the ram it should be easy their should be a ram door on the back.

3. triptolemus macrumors 6502

triptolemus

4. audiotek thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome Thanks "problem" is I have a BestBuy credit card!! I say problem because it's too easy to order and they offer 3 months no interest!!!! Also I'm in Canada and our dollar just sucks compare to U.S but the Amazon.ca is $10 cheaper than BB so it's tempting Anyways thanks a lot for the fast replies guys Greatly appreciated.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 1, 2017 ---
    I just looked at a video and it seems very easy to install RAM in a iMac and it has 4 slots meaning I can keep the 4GB already in the machine? I thought for sure it was 2 slots only

5. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Yes, your 2011 iMac has 4 slots - you can leave the existing pair installed.
    That means that with your upgrade, you would have 20GB installed!