Ram Upgrade Question: Aluminum Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by permutated, Jul 30, 2010.

1. permutated macrumors member

Hi all,

I've seen a few videos on replacing Macbook Pro memory, but I'm not 100% sure what type of non-Apple RAM is worth investing in. I also have zero experience purchasing or researching what type of ram will actually work with my computer, so I appreciate any help you all can give.

As of right now I have two slots filled, each with 1gig each of DDR2 SDRAM @ 667MHz. I'm not sure what the max size is per each slot, my guess is 2 or 4 gigs. Does anyone know?

Secondly, I need a recommendation as to what brand is worth investing in. I noticed this listing on New Egg for a single slot 4gig for $120, seems like a good deal but I might be off: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220495

Thanks for the help. Looking to jump into Starcraft II shortly. :eek:

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Go to :apple: > About This Mac > More Info... > Hardware > Hardware Overview > Model Identifier and look at EveryMac for your machine.
    Then click on the presented link and see what the maximum capacity is.

Or you could go to OWC and see for yourself, as you clearly don't have the Unibody MBP, but the Aluminium one.

Aluminium MacBook Pro (2006 till 2008)

[​IMG]

Unibody MacBook Pro (released 10/2008)

[​IMG]

4. permutated thread starter macrumors member

Ahhhhh my bad. Thanks! I'll check out that site. :)

5. permutated thread starter macrumors member

Hmmm that's very strange. When I purchased the MBP at the Apple store they said I had the immediate option to upgrade to at least 4 gigs (which I opted not to do), but the identifier clearly states that each slot takes a 1gig stick max.

This can't be right.

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You have this Mac?

[​IMG]