RAM Upgrade Question!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MiMiN, Jan 1, 2012.

1. MiMiN, Jan 1, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2012

MiMiN macrumors newbie

Hey guys, first off a happy new year to everyone here at MacRumors.

I have a late '11 15" MacBook Pro (the specs of which you can see in my signature), and I want to bump the ram up from 4GB to 8GB. Thing is, the shop that I want to get it at has "regular" Kingston 1333 8GB and "Mac-optimized" Kingston 1333 8GB RAM (it says For Mac on the cover).

Does it make a difference if I install non-"For Mac" RAM on my MacBook Pro? Also is there a big difference between 1066 MHz and 1333 MHz?

Thanks in advance y'all.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There's no such thing as "for-Mac" RAM. That's a marketing gimmick. RAM is RAM. Just make sure the specs are appropriate for your model.

3. Sonhascome macrumors 6502

I don't think it'll make much of a difference. I wouldn't skimp on ram though, I'd get mid to uppergrade stuff because I've gotten cheap ram before and the computer will randomly shut off.

4. MiMiN thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks GGJstudios! So as long as I get the right 1333 MHz 10666 SO-DIMM RAM, it'll do the trick!

Thanks again!

5. ObuckiO macrumors regular

15'' MBP 2.66 ghz intel core 2 duo, 4GB 1067 mhz ddr3

Running OS X Lion, the rest is in title.
    In; About this mac, it says that it is 15'', Late 2008 and when i go to memory, the memory upgrade instructions has my Maximum memory top at 4GB. I was told it could hold 8GB from BestBuy. The base memory says 2, but it came with 4GB. Does anyone know if these numbers might be wrong? I know i should just ask Apple but i thought i could get a second opinion here too.
    Why i looked at this, $400 in RAM from store, or $80 off Ebay. That made me really try to find out what kinda RAM to look for on Ebay or any at all.
    SATA Disc 320 GB with 262 of it is free (i might not need it anyway??) I'm trying to keep my older Mac until it blows up or what not. I don't know if that's to old for some of you all, but i'm no spring chicken either. Thanks Mac Rumors folks.:apple:

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can find specs on all Apple products, including maximum RAM:
    • By visiting EveryMac.com: Actual Maximum RAM
    • By using Mactracker
    • By entering your serial number here to find specs for your model. (Be aware that some models can use more RAM than Apple shows. Check EveryMac or MacTracker to verify.)

7. ObuckiO macrumors regular

Thanks again GGJ:) That link showed me it will hold 8GBs. The numbers are wrong on my "more info" instructions guide. Actual Max.< was the key word.