Ram Upgrade Question

Discussion in 'iMac' started by MikeM87, Apr 28, 2012.

1. MikeM87 macrumors 6502

MikeM87

Hey Guys,

I have a 2011 iMac with 4gb of RAM currently installed. Thinking of upgrading to 12gb. Just wondering if I will notice any instant performance upgrades as such as you do with Windows (Applications opening faster etc).

I work as an IT engineer so doing this is no bother to me.

I was thinking of buying it from crucial, 2x4gb sticks for £38.00. Is this a good deal?

Thanks guys :)

2. simsaladimbamba

You will see an improvement if you workload is RAM intensive and you currently experience a lot of page outs.
    Applications will not open faster because you have more RAM, unless you QUIT applications after use and reopen them later and the data for those applications is still somewhere in the RAM as it didn't need to be paged out.

Open Activity Monitor and go to the System Memory* tab and look for Page Outs and Swap used and see for yourself.

3. MikeM87 thread starter macrumors 6502

MikeM87

Thanks, Would you recommend samsung or crucial memory?

4. simsaladimbamba

I can't recommend any of these, as I don't have any experience with them, but Crucial seems to be an often recommended brand for RAM.
    I have "no-name" RAM in my 2009 MBP and it works quite well.
    Just get the RAM with good reviews, good warranty and from a place with good service and return policy in case of DOA.

5. MikeM87 thread starter macrumors 6502

MikeM87