RAM Upgrade Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pk7, Jul 21, 2012.

1. pk7 macrumors 6502

Hey all,

Real quick question, I'm sorry for adding to the already large number of RAM threads on here, but I just was wondering how much RAM to upgrade my 15" Early 2011 MBP to. I did a search but didn't find what I was looking for.

It currently has 4 GB of 1333 MHz RAM and it definitely shorts out when I use iLife or iWork with Safari and iTunes and Skype and such open in the background. I use this combination of programs a lot, and I'm going into engineering undergrad in the fall so I'm assuming I'll be using some more intensive software as well (correct me if I'm wrong, I'm new to the whole college scene :p).

Do you recommend going up to 8 GB or 16 GB of RAM with the usage I've outlined above? And can the 15" Early 2011 MBP handle 16 at all? The built in System Information tool says 8 GB max but it seems like 16 GB will also work? It also says that DDR3-1333 is the maximum speed but I wouldn't mind going up to 1600, I'm just not sure if it is supported or if I will notice a difference.

Any preferred brands? I'm leaning towards Corsair.

Thanks very much in advance.

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

8GB should be more than enough for your needs. Even 4GB is enough.

3. RedCroissant Suspended

I would go ahead and upgrade it to 16GB. You might not need it right now, but it's better than upgrading to 8GB, and then later buying another kit to upgrade it to 16GB.

4. DWS1187 macrumors newbie

DWS1187

I have a MacBook Pro Early 2011 and upgraded to 8GB of RAM using Crucial's system scanner....and double checking info. Upgraded a month after using the laptop. I am very pleased with the results. While using VMWare for Computer Science projects, it performs much better.

I agree. Now if I had known it at the time that I could use 16GB, I would have done so.

5. pk7, Jul 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2012

pk7 thread starter macrumors 6502

This is a very good point.

Thank you all for your replies.

Which one of these would you recommend?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...5&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=RATING&PageSize=20

EDIT: Oh, and could an Early 2011 2.0 GHz 15" MBP handle 32 GB of RAM (8x4)? I am in no way in need of so much RAM right now unless something comes up in engineering. I'm just wondering, for curiosity's sake. :)

Thanks.

6. RedCroissant Suspended

It will not support 32GB of RAM. Officially, it supports up to 8GB, unofficially it can support up to 16GB. Just ho to everymac.com to find out what brand of RAM they were using.

7. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

You'll never need 32GB to run basic engineering programs.

Pretty sure MBPs only have 2 slots for RAM, not 4. (Someone correct me if I have the wrong info on this)

8. pk7 thread starter macrumors 6502

You are right. I had overlooked this. 16 GB it is then. Thanks again for the help everyone! It's much appreciated. Now I just need to pick the right brand.