RAM Upgrade Question

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Ryan Burgess, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Ryan Burgess macrumors 6502

I have a white MacBook a1181 with a 2.4 ghZ Intel Core 2 Duo processor and 2gb of RAM.

It's been running slowly so I just bought a 4gb RAM chip off amazon. My question is....Would the computer run if I took out all the memory in it now and used only this one chip? If the computer has 2 slots will it run fine when only 1 is occupied?

If not, then will the computer run fine with a 4gb chip in one slot and a 1gb chip in the other?

The reason for using the 4gb chip only is becuase its much faster (1333mhz, vs 667mhz)

Thanks in advance!

2. simsaladimbamba

You bought the wrong RAM, you need 200-pin DDR2 SO-DIMM RAM RAM, but you bought 204-pin DDR3 SO-DIMM RAM RAM.

Anyway, when you get the new RAM, your MacBook supports 6 GB of RAM, you can use one 4 GB module and one 1 GB module just fine, though it is probably cheaper to get two 2 GB modules of 200-pin DDR2 SO-DIMM RAM than one 4 GB module of that kind of RAM.

You can also just use one module if you want, the MacBook does not need the two slots to be occupied.

3. Ryan Burgess thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks guys, I just cancelled my last order and purchase the one above!

Thanks a lot you've helped sooo much!