RAM upgrade question

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Brianmp007, Sep 2, 2009.

1. Brianmp007 macrumors newbie

So I know theres probably a million topics dealing with this subject but I had a quick question about upgrading the RAM on my mid 2007 macbook.

I have the black 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo macbook and was wondering if it would be a better choice to buy single 1gb stick and a single 2gb stick of ram or to buy the 2x2 GB sticks for the 4 GB.

I know that this macbook can only support 3.3 GB and was curious about the pros and cons of these two options.

I was also hoping someone could recommend a good site to buy RAM from

thanks in advance
    brian

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Yes...there have been ~1.543 million threads on MacBook RAM upgrades...we do have a search button at the top for assistance ;)

Pros to 2x2GB: Fully utilize 3.3GB available memory. Purchasing in pairs can be cheaper than buying two single DIMMS at times. Dual-channel support.

Pros to 1x1GB, 1x2GB: None that I can think of other than saving a couple bucks.

3. greatmaju macrumors member

greatmaju

I thought that in macbooks, you had to have RAM in pairs. to 2X1GB or 2X2GB RAM. Could just be for different versions of macbook.

I have a quick Q whilst we are on the topic:
    I have an early 2008 (polycarbonate) macbook, with 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM.
    Do I have to buy the same type (so 2X2 GB 667Mhz DDR2 SDRAM?)
    And, I did look and came across ValueRAM. do you have to buy the same make of RAM? (Company I suppose as well) or would any that is listed in Google Shopping do?

I realise, that might be a bit confusing.

4. Brianmp007 thread starter macrumors newbie

5. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

That should work fine. You may want to see what Crucial offers, even via Newegg pricewise. Crucial tends to be a trusted brand, I use them all the time for PCs.

As for the post before yours, no you don't need matching pairs in the MacBook. The only benefit of them is dual-channel memory is only available when the DIMMs are matching. The benefit of this is pretty minor, and if you need the extra memory of non-matching, having more memory is a bigger performance boost than dual-channel matching.

6. mcmanus7 macrumors 6502a

Personally i went with Mushkin perfect match ram for my macbook 2.16.... did the 2 x 2GB and wow upgrading from 1 gb of ram to the utilized 3.3 GB is a huge change....

I know a lot of people who run the mushkin perfect match in macbooks/imacs and i've never heard of a problem...

I believe newegg sells the 4gb kit for 66.99

7. greatmaju macrumors member

greatmaju

8. mcmanus7 macrumors 6502a

I don't think you'd notice a difference between 3GB and 3.3GB.... but for ram I almost always go with the MAXIMUM... maybe someday apple will figure out a way to address the other .7GB or ram...

9. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

I think the 3.3GB limit is a hardware limitation with the memory controller...not positive though.

10. greatmaju macrumors member

greatmaju