RAM upgrade questions.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ABEAR, Jun 29, 2009.

1. ABEAR macrumors newbie

ABEAR

How much of a difference will I see with 4gb of ram compared to 2?

Apple charges a ridiculous price for RAM, where can I get some cheaper?

2. Kyeris macrumors 6502

Depends on what you do with your mac, because for the average user 2GB is perfectly enough, and OS X does a great job of managing memory.

And when it comes to finding RAM, multiple online vendors sell it. I personally use http://www.newegg.com

3. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
  4. ABEAR thread starter macrumors newbie

ABEAR

Thanks, I will be using it for the average stuff, like internet, music, IM, but when school starts back up I will be attempting to take some of my projects home to do some editing in Final Cut Pro. I'm not sure how it will run on here though.

Thanks for you guys help!

5. TK2K macrumors 6502

TK2K

final cut pro HD you NEED 4gb at least, SD you will still see a performance gain, pretty signifiant

6. ifoney macrumors newbie

7. staccato83 macrumors 6502a

staccato83

8. mc3s macrumors member

Newegg is great for pretty much everything but I'll throw Crucial into the ring as well.

http://www.crucial.com/mac/index.aspx

As far as what gains you will notice..... depending on what sort of RAM you are getting I'd say if it only runs you around $50 then it is money well spent. You can always use more memory whether it be now or for future proofing your computer. If you have a newer Mac that uses DDR3 RAM I think those prices are still a little higher and in that case I might suggest holding off for a while unless you know that you can make use of it now.

9. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Use the computer as your normally would, then fire up activity monitor. If it shows a high number of page-out's, you need more ram.

Apple does charge a slight premium for ram, but it's not nearly as bad as it used to be. If you get it through Apple, it's also covered under applecare.

Wow, 4 gigs of laptop ram for $60-70? It seems like yesterday when people were paying at least that much for single one gig sticks for their g5 power macs....

10. RDM3 macrumors regular

Whether you need the 4gb or not it is a cheap upgrade so there is no reason to not do it. I get mine from newegg.com

11. ifoney macrumors newbie

samusung memory is lifetime warranties as long as it's a samsung original manufactured unit... Who cares if it's used, it's not a cosmetic item. I've bought used samsung memory before and had to warranty one of the dual channel sticks like 3 years ago, they send me a whole new set.

12. chhhrrriiisss macrumors 6502a

I was thinking about upgrading the ram in my new iMac but I just turned it on and it is plenty fast I think. Besides I don't really do anything on it besides watch some random videos and very minimal graphic design.

I'm pretty sure 2GB is fine for now.

If only I can get used to this tiny keyboard. :D

13. theARNSKI macrumors regular

Newgg sells crucial, too x]. I got my 4GB from them for about $54 shipped.

I'll stick a vote in for crucial. Upgraded my early 2009 whitebook to 4gb and felt the increase in performance. Good stuff.

14. YiannisK macrumors newbie

To find the correct RAM type that you need I go to www.kingston.com
    There you can also find prices from shops ! :)

15. NathanCH macrumors 65816

NathanCH

When is this "2GB is enough for the average user" crap going to stop? That was true last year maybe, but it's $50 now - it's standard in almost all non-macs.

In two years will you guys be saying the same thing while computers have 8GB standard in a $500 PC?

16. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Yes, because any operating system worth squat is efficient enough to only NEED 2GB to run.

Until we see a system-wide multitouch mouseless interface, anything that needs more than 2GB to run smoothly will be nothing but BLOAT, end of story.

17. ABEAR thread starter macrumors newbie

ABEAR

Does anybody know what kind of RAM the late 2008 aluminum models need? I know DDR3, but PC what?

18. bobbleheadbob macrumors 6502a

bobbleheadbob

I get all my additional RAM from OWC. (www.macsales.com). Prices are great and never had an issue with them. They also have a trade-in credit available if you want to send your old RAM back.

I've upgraded all of our Macs to 4GB now as a standard practice. (Expect for the MBA, of course.)

I have to admit that I really don't price shop around too much any more, because I've been very happy with OWC and haven't feel the need to lately.

19. RDM3 macrumors regular

Go to www.crucial.com and run the system check program it will tell you

20. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

I think when I order my MacBook in the next couple of days, I will build to order an extra couple of gigs to make four in total. It's not too much more expensive than through crucial, and it's covered by AppleCare and also I don't have to worry about fitting it myself (even though I know it's easy)

21. RDM3 macrumors regular

I think it is $135 more the last time I checked