RAM Upgrade Time for my MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2009)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Scubadave, Sep 1, 2010.

1. Scubadave macrumors newbie

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Components/Memory-RAM/1-GB-or-more/auction-313828864.htm

One 4 Gigabyte stick for $299.00 NZD ( $210.44 USD )

Good deal?

Currently my Macbook Pro has 2 x 1024 at 1066 MHz

So I Plan to have a situation of
    1 x 4 Gig in SLOT #1
    1 x 1 Gig in SLOT #2

Then maybe if I become wealthy or my employer wants to pay I'll replace the other slot totalling 8 Gigs of Memory.

Thoughts?

Suggestions?

Good deal? $210 USD for a single 4 Gig stick at 1066 DDR3 PC3-8500

I have no clue about RAM and pricing these days... I used to be up with the market when I had time in Highschool...now days I'm just another ignorant customer. But at least I have money :)

2. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

That's WAY too expensive. You can get 2 4GB sticks at OWC for $235:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/8566DDR3S8GP/

And i hear on newegg.com they got them even cheaper

3. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

I saw them on Newegg the other day for $91 with free shipping. That was a "name brand," but I don't remember which... Crucial, Corsair, PNY, something...

EDIT: Just looked and OWC has NuRAM 4GB sticks for $97.99.

EDIT #2: Just saw a problem Mac-key: we've both (incorrectly) assumed our OP was in the USA. He (I assume he) is in New Zealand. I had no clue as to prices there... sorry Scubadave.

4. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

yep, i saw that too after i posted. my bad

5. Scubadave thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep Im from New Zealand, but I still wanted to know international prices because I'm heading over to the states on a working visa for my company in 4 weeks, so I can just hold off until I'm there. As I'm doing for the iphone 4 which is twice the price here. As is everything...

6. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

7. Covart Guest

Yep, wait till you are in the U.S.

If you plan to be in the U.S. for a little while, I highly recommend opening a US bank account via your passport and get a Visa Debit card from whatever bank you use. Use the debit card to purchase whatever you plan to buy. Reason for this is some sites are a real PIA if the shipping address does not match up to your home address on the credit card (plus you don't want to get hit with the international transaction fees using your NZ credit card, if you don't have to.)

8. Scubadave thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep, the cost to ship items from north America are so ridiculously expensive it makes it completely un-workable.

There needs to be some sort of community website that allows people to ship stuff with travellers baggage for a fraction of the price...Obviously requires some trust of some nature. But there is always a way to make it work.

Some sort of Oceania/North American shipping connection that specializes in keeping the costs to a bare minimum while retaining trust and reliability.

A part of the reason it costs so much is the insurance and increased risk of loss of goods in transit I guess... meh I dunno.

Thanks for that advice Covart! Good advice, something to put on my list of things to do when I arrive in Austin TX.

I'll have to set up the card to my Cousins Address.

Heh what's the best Bank for a debit card? In terms of service/transaction fees, honesty etc. )

9. Covart Guest

There are several national banks you could go with (Wells Fargo for one) or large Texas state credit unions (these banks will usually have the most ATM's and as long as you use their ATM's there is no fee each time you take money out). The only bank I would avoid is Bank of America. And any major bank will set you up with a debit card.

10. whoda macrumors member

whoda

Great advice Covart. I recently left Bank of America for Wachovia (which is part of Wells Fargo) and am completely satisfied. Lots of BoA branches have "for sale" signs in front of them. Good riddance BoA.