RAM Upgrade Time?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by eowl, Dec 27, 2011.

1. eowl macrumors member

eowl

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Hi all,

Going to buy my new MacBook pro tomorrow and was thinking of upgrading the RAM from 4gb to 8gb, but I was just wondering how long they took to upgrade it in store, would I be able to buy it and them upgrade it'd straight away or would I have to wait a day or 2? Also the same question about installing a SSD as well!

Thanks!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Upgrading RAM takes about a minute. You can easily do it yourself, using the instructions in the MacBook Pro User Guide.

3. Maverick513 macrumors member

For me, I found 4GB RAM is sufficient right now.

4. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Don't buy RAM from apple, it's ridiculously overpriced and you will also be paying money for something that you can easily do yourself. You can find RAM kits online for your mac and installation of RAM is very easy.

If you need to know what RAM is compatible with your mac, I would go to macsales.com. They have listings for all macs and you can either buy your RAM there or find the same product somewhere else if the price is lower. They also have tutorial videos for most macs to show you exactly how to put in the RAM.

I've changed out RAM on 4 or 5 different mac computers and never have had an issue. Save yourself some money and do it yourself.

I have 8gb of RAM and I found it a good upgrade especially with how cheap RAM has become these days. It especially helps when I'm working in iMovie or iPhoto. If you have the money and think that you need an upgrade I would go for 8gb.