Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yustas

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 11, 2009
Hello,

I went over memory installation instructions but it does not specify if it is important to put the same amount of RAM in the same memory bank. My new iMac has 2 GB in Bank 0 and 2 GB in Bank 1. If I leave everything as is and install 8 more GB of RAM, I will have the following configuration:

Bank 0 - 2 GB
Bank 1 - 2 GB
Bank 0 - 4 GB
Bank 1 - 4 GB

Is it important to match banks with the memory amount? If I do that, it will look like this:

Bank 0 - 2 GB
Bank 1 - 4 GB
Bank 0 - 2 GB
Bank 1 - 4 GB

Which way is correct?

Thanks.

Veryold

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2011
The original memory will be in the top two slots. The additional memory will go in the bottom two slots.
Short end of memory to the right but check by looking in the slot. Firm pressure required to push the memory home.

yustas

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 11, 2009
The original memory will be in the top two slots. The additional memory will go in the bottom two slots.
Short end of memory to the right but check by looking in the slot. Firm pressure required to push the memory home.

Okay, then it will look like this:

Bank 0 - 2 GB
Bank 1 - 2 GB
Bank 0 - 4 GB
Bank 1 - 4 GB

Dresevski

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2011
Minnesnowda
I have the 2GB in the top slots and 4GB in the bottom. It was a hard push to snap the memory in but eventually it pops in and everything works...do it to it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.