RAM upgrade worth it on basic Mini?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by imac275, Apr 22, 2014.

1. imac275 macrumors member

I have got the base model late-2012 Mini and I have replaced one of the 2GB sticks of RAM with an 8GB one to take me to 10GB in total.

I have noticed a speed improvement, so I was wondering if it is worth going up to the maximum 16GB on this machine or not. Will I see any further improvement or will the I5 processor and HDD mean I won't get any real advantage?

2. blanka macrumors 68000

Check Activity monitor on how much of your 10GB is used. If it fills up many times a day, 16GB will help. If not, keep it like this.

3. Jambalaya macrumors 6502a

Depends what you are doing but probably not as you will most likely see a bigger improvement by next upgrading to an SSD and keeping the existing hard drive for data libraries / movies / music, this will cost a bit more than an 8gb RAM stick

4. Che Castro macrumors 603

like nike says just do it ,16GB is the way to go, specially if you plan on keeping it for a few years

get an SSD too

5. Fishrrman macrumors G3

My opinion only.

If you're not "hitting the memory ceiling" with 10gb installed, why bother to put in more?

I bought my late 2012 Mini in January 2013 with the stock 4gb of RAM installed. It's been running fine for more than a year, and my usage requirements don't seem troubled by the lack of extra RAM at all.

I might drop in a single 8gb board of RAM in the future, but again, extra RAM does nothing for you, unless you actually drive the Mini hard enough to -require- it.