RAM upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Donia330i, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Donia330i macrumors regular

Hey, I'm looking to upgrade the RAM in my macbook( 13" Aluminum unibody). My question is what is most amount of RAM I can get and what is best kind/brand to buy? Also is this a simple upgrade process? Thanks!

2. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

Max is 8GB for the Late 2008 unibody Macbook. Ensure you have the latest firmware installed. To install it all you need is a small phillips screwdriver to remove all of the bottom case screws, you pop out the old RAM and put in the new RAM. Touch metal before touching any sensitive parts to discharge any potential static electricity.

In terms of what RAM to use depends where you hail from. If you are in the US I'd use Newegg. Any PC3-8500 2X4GB laptop RAM set should work. This Crucial set should work well but I personally have this G. Skill set I installed in two computers. If you are overseas it depends on the country.

3. Donia330i thread starter macrumors regular

Hey, thanks for info! I am in the U.S. Have you done this upgrade yourself? Do you really notice a difference? What OSX are you running? Also where do I check for firmware? Thanks

4. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

Run Apple Software Update to check for any updates. I use 10.8 the latest version but I've used all of the previous versions I believe this came with 10.6 and many people still use 10.6.8 as it is a good system.

I have done the upgrade myself on every machine PC or Mac I've owned whether notebook or desktop. You do notice the difference if you were actually maxing it out to begin with. You can check that with things like iStat Pro after a day or two of regular use and by checking the advanced RAM settings you can see how many page outs you may have. (You can also use activity monitor) I used to have 4GB since the beginning with this machine and using multiple applications at once would cause it to lag and page out to my old slow 5400 RPM HDD. After the upgrade things have been better. I also later upgraded to a hybrid HDD which is better.

5. Donia330i thread starter macrumors regular

Ok thanks again for the info. I only have 2gb so I'm pretty sure it’s beyond maxed out haha. Yea my next question was going to be about switching out the HDD for an SSD. How does that work? easy to do? Is there any way to copy all info from the old drive to the new one? Also can you recommend one of this. Thanks

6. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

For SSD recs depends on your budget and the size you want. Take a look at this long thread with thousands of replies if you want to see all of the discussion.

SSD is no more difficult than a HDD to install. You would transfer with a SATA adapter or an external enclosure. Use carbon copy cloner or similar programs to clone your drive to the new one. You can purchase a SATA adapter here which plus into the computer with USB with the outside drive and connects to the drive through the SATA connector.

7. Donia330i thread starter macrumors regular

Ok thanks for all your help. I've never done a HD install ever, so how hard is it for a 1st timer? Also could you give me a few examples of good SSD's that will work well with my machine. I’m looking for around 256gb. Thanks

8. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

It's easy to do. Take a look at this step by step guide by ifixit. Just don't strip any screws.

Crucial M4 or V4. Samsung has the 830/840 and Pro versions that all seem pretty popular. Intel makes SSDs as well.

9. Donia330i thread starter macrumors regular

Ok thank you for all your help. I will check these out. Is there a certain model of each or will say any Samsung 830/840 work? What are the

10. Giuly, Jan 26, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  11. Donia330i, Jan 27, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2013

Donia330i thread starter macrumors regular