RAM Upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacCrank, Apr 15, 2013.

1. MacCrank macrumors member

Dont shoot me down but only just found out how to view your system memory when going to activity. When having a few pages Safari pages up and doing general work on two screens I see it is saying USED: 3.94-3.96GB.

I only have 4 GB of RAM. Is this maxing out and could I get more out of it for upgrading to 8 or 16GB? Is it a worthy upgrade?

If so where is the cheapest place to buy? Dont want to pay Apple prices but want their quality.

Also if my Ram is 4GB. Do I have 2x 2GB or 1x 4GB? If I upgrade to 8GB would I just need to get another 4GB if I have a 1x 4GB Ram card?

2. simsaladimbamba

3. MacCrank thread starter macrumors member

Attached Files:

4. MacCrank thread starter macrumors member

How can I find out what I have?

5. simsaladimbamba

Menu Bar > :apple: > About This Mac > More Info > Memory.

To find out your model, look at Menu Bar > :apple: > About This Mac > More Info > System Report > Hardware > Hardware Overview > Model Identifier.

Or look at the RAM I linked to and you already responded to.

6. MacCrank thread starter macrumors member

Oh OK. Sorry thought your links were your Sig and nothing to do with your post.

I have just looked and I have 2x 2GB

7. simsaladimbamba

On MacRumors Forums signatures are shown below a short line and they are also not allowed to use five lines.

If in doubt, read.

8. MacCrank thread starter macrumors member

Yes I know normally shown below a line but I thought it was your sig when quickly reading as it was coloured too.

Does anyone know what the screenshot shows? Does it look normal or am I in need of Ram upgrade? Although I dont have itunes, iphoto and numbers + others open to view, will this slow and drain the RAM?

9. simsaladimbamba

More usage will not slow the RAM, it will use the RAM (drain if you want).
    Yes, you could use one more GB of RAM, and if you have the money and the machine supporting it, get 8 GB for around 70 to 90 USD.