Ram Upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Marzooq, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Marzooq macrumors newbie

2. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

big thumbs up moving to 16GB. The next upgrade....replace HD with SSD since your MBP should have SATA3. In the States we can get Samsung 840 EVO 1TB for $499. Smaller sizes are of course much less expensive.

3. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Here's my 2011 MBP with a 512GB Samsung 840 Pro booting up: http://1drv.ms/1mgZece

Hopefully the OP will have a general idea of how fast an SSD Mac starts up.

4. Marzooq thread starter macrumors newbie

YAY! Thanks for the fast reply guys :) ill upgrade the hd to an ssd as soon as i get the new ram :D

5. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

agreed with everyone, the SSD is actually more important than the RAM

I have a early 2011 and the RAM was upgraded to 16GB about a year ago, it was great at first but with Mavericks I started to get beach balls for everything, finder was crashing a lot

I have now put a SSD in the main bay and my 1TB in the optical bay just to store movies and music

I litterly have fallen back in love with my Mac, I have not had a beach ball since it boots in 11 seconds and most app open from the dock with 1 or 2 animation bounces

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Definitely,
    OSX has excellent memory management and unless you see high swap usage, more ram won't benefit the machine where as the SSD will show immediate results.

7. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

The reason I suggested going to 16GB if you are bothering to open the box for a memory upgrade, 16GB is not all that much more of an investment than 8GB; it should be less than $100 extra. Once you put in 16GB and a SSD with trim enabled, you have likely performed all the hardware improvements that are practical.

I can't wait to see tomorrow afternoon what a difference the 840EVO makes in the niece's whitebook boot and apps opening times. :D

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

But that would be a waste of money ;)

9. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

ROFLMAO. Indeed some folks freak at someone having "too much". Those are the folks that never heard:

Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess.

Oscar Wilde