RAM Upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kwong2006, Nov 16, 2007.

1. kwong2006 macrumors regular

I am currently thinking about upgrading the RAM on my SR MBP that I purchased in June of this year. The computer has 2GB of RAM. I was wondering if Transcend RAMS are good to have on Intel Macs. They were dirt cheap on Outpost.com.

2. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

I don't know much about that specific product but I do know that you won't see much of a boost past 2 gb of ram for most tasks. What are you using your computer for?

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, check the rate of your page in accumulation after a restart. The figure(s) can be found in Activity Monitor. If it's in the multiples of thousands quite quickly then you'll probably benefit from a RAM upgrade. Always get RAM from a dealer who supports Macs and will replace dead sticks.

4. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Where exactly do I go to see these figures?

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Open Activity Monitor and click on System Memory. They (page ins and page outs) should be listed near the bottom. Remember that the actual figures don't matter so much as the rate at which they accumulate.

6. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Ahh thanks. :)

I literally learn something new everyday from your trouble-shooting tips:)

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

8. Spikeanator6982 macrumors 6502

Idk about intel macs or any newer mac os than panther as of yet, but you can also use "terminal" type in "top" without the "'s. that will give u a number of different things, including pages in/outs.