Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chanowitz

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2007
I have a macbook C2D and I want to upgrade my ram and i want to know the maximum limit of ram that i can put into my machine

JWBear

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2008
what is the best site to buy RAM from?

I don't mind paying a little more for peace of mind

thanks

DaveWonders

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2006
2 best bets are macsales.com with their OWC brand and also newegg.com . Depending on the day and exactly what you're looking for one will beat out the other.

coumerelli

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2003
state of confusion.
crucial.com. I just bought 4GB (2x2) for my MacBook. I've bought ram from them for 5 years. Powerbook, G4 MDD, iBook, various Dells, and now MacBook. You can usually get a slight break if you buy it from NewEgg.com - it's crucial ram with about 5-10% discount.

JWBear

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2008
great thanks for the links..

Do you guys have a link for a how-to install RAM on a MacBook?

I heard it is fairly easy to do but I have never cracked open a case on ANY computer (desktop or laptop, PC or Mac)

If you open the case does it negate your warranty?

Is it a good idea for a novice (me) to attempt this or ship it out to Apple? I assume Apple stores don't upgrade hardware?

Thanks so much for your responses!

logana

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
Scotland
You don't need to open the case - just take out the battery and then the L shaped bracket - does not invalidate warranty - hard disks and RAM are user-upgradable parts.

5 mins tops - just remember to push the new chips right into the sockets (if you can't see white lines on your fingers for 5 minutes afterwards then yu did not push hard enough)

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303721

bdj33ranch

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2005
Also you need a Phillips 00 screwdriver. This is a bit unusual size and smaller than you will find in most of the typical mini-screwdriver kits. I found mine at Radio Shack. And I re-emphasize that you have to push the new memory module in HARD.

Jpoon

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2008
OWC has solid RAM.
Crucial is a bit more expensive I find, but I've seen less complaints with them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.