Ram Upgrade?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Cberg999, Apr 5, 2008.

1. Cberg999 macrumors newbie

I have a 6 month old iMac with 2 gigs of ram that has been performing beautifully. However there is this nagging voice in the back of my head saying "why have 2 when you can have 4". Problem is, I dont feel all that comfortable laying my iMac face down and diving right in. I'm I just being paranoid? Is it really a simple procedure with minimual risk? Is it worth it?

2. bassanoclapper macrumors 6502

bassanoclapper

It really is very simple. You'll need a small phillips screwdriver and about 10 mins - and that's just carefully taking your time

3. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Its very easy and you don't have to lay the iMac down. There are even youtube videos that show how its done. Probably not necessary if you are happy with the performance of your iMac.

4. MM07 macrumors 6502a

I just laid mine screen down on a clean towel very carefully.

It was much easier to get to the RAM door.

The whole process took maybe 5 minutes. Go for it!!

5. czachorski macrumors 6502a

czachorski

The screwdriver is just for the removing the metal door. The RAM goes in and out just by finger force - it's very easy. There have been some occasional stories of the RAM jamming when inserting or removing. Just be sure to pull it out straight and push it in straight and with even force from left to right.

RAM prices are so cheap now, I hear what you are saying about that nagging voice. When I did mine, I think the 4 GB OWC Kit was like $179. Now I believe it is under $100.