RAM Upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by forwarddrew, Dec 23, 2008.

1. forwarddrew macrumors newbie

Hey I've got a 2.16GHz macbook. at the moment i use it for general surfing and recording live music (using logic studio (best £312 ever spent)). i currently have just 1Gb of ram but i was considering upgrading it to 4Gb. just wanting your advice on this and if you think its a good idea.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Is it running too slowly for you? If so, buy from OWC.

3. cymrulp macrumors member

cymrulp

Ive just upgraded my macbook white 2.1Ghz and also use it for music, although I use a Line 6 toneport and Garageband.

I bought 4GB RAM from Crucial and it was a breeze to install, takes about 10 mins and there are lots of vids on youtube to show how to do it.

Ive noticed a big improvement in performance, when using finder and mixing and converting tracks in garageband, id definately recommend the upgrade.

I also got a 320GB HDD and that was just as easy to install.

4. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

upgrading from 1 GB will be a huge gain. especially when you're using logic studio. do it now!

5. skorpien macrumors 68020

According to crucial.com, the 2.16 GHz MacBooks can handle only 2 GB RAM. If the OP were to upgrade to 4 GB, would it even be able to use it all?

6. aethelbert macrumors 601

They can use 3.3 max; 2x2gb will give the advantage of dual channel.

7. mcavjame macrumors 65816

mcavjame

I have 4GB and a 7200rpm HDD in my macbook... same processor as yours. Big boost in performance with the hard drive, the extra RAM enables multiple apps open.

For web development I often need Photoshop, dreamweaver, flash, transmit, a couple web browsers, iPhoto, and quicktime open at the same time. The extra RAM helps minimize the disk access.

Attached Files:

8. therealdt macrumors regular

I have a WB waiting for me, and I ordered another 2GB. I find this to be sufficient enough for me. I went to Newegg, shipping was free.
    I have heard like the other poster said, you're only going to use 3.3GB. So either max it out or just go for the 2GB.

9. skorpien macrumors 68020

Ah okay. That makes sense. Thanks for the clarification. (Still fairly new to Macs here.)