RAM upgraded today

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by camardelle, Feb 18, 2012.

1. camardelle macrumors 6502

Got my RAM in from OWC today and it took me all of 5 mins to remove the bottom, the old ram, and add the new ram and replace the cover. Easy-peasy for sure. I'm impressed with the change and am not seeing the beach ball tonight. I'm no wrench by any means so this was kind of a big deal...or at least it was when I started. It was so easy to do. Now, I'll take the two sticks taken from my mbp and install it into my iMac later giving it an upgrade too.

Two computers with double the ram they shipped with for $48 bucks. What a deal!

2. wineandcarbs macrumors 6502a

Awesome. How much RAM did you originally have, and how much did you upgrade to? Thinking of upgrading my RAM myself. Currently have 4GB. It's funny, I remember years ago when my computer (a PC at the time) had 2GB and I thought it came with sooooo much RAM :p

3. tarponbeach macrumors member

I upgraded my late 2011 13" from 4GB to 8GB last week, and noticed a substantial difference in performance. Zero page outs with 8 GB.

4. bevo macrumors regular

Agreed. I upgraded to 8gig of ram and made a great improvement and now with a SSD, its like a completely different laptop now.

Late 2011 mbp 13".

5. wineandcarbs macrumors 6502a

Thanks to you and bevo.

I'm using an early-2011 13" (purchased in April 2011) w/ 4GB ram. Thinking of upgrading to 8GB.

6. camardelle thread starter macrumors 6502

LOL. I remember upgrading one of my very first dos machines and it cost like $250 or so to add 512k of RAM LOL

My mbp originally shipped with 4 gigs of ram and I doubled that. I just finished installing the sticks from the laptop into my iMac and now that it has double the ram it seems to be running better also. I'm a happy camper! :apple:

7. TravisC macrumors newbie

Upgraded RAM and wiped hard drive

I recently upgraded my RAM and with the suggestion of the Apple Genius Bar, wiped my hard dire clean. Only doing this, nothing has seemed to improve. Can anyone lend any insight to what might be going on? My macbook pro 13" was purchased in mid-summer 2010 so I am a little perturbed with these issues. Thanks in advance.

Travis

8. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Rocking 8gigs of RAM over here :D :D Love the usability of my MacBook while doing multiple tasks.

9. ljones macrumors regular

16 gigs here, and I'm shocked that I still manage to use it all at times. Things are better since I have less pageouts.. virtually none until I use up most of the ram. No complaints here.

10. dgc1957 macrumors newbie

Need to ask some a "newbie" question...

Hi all.
    Reading your threads - just finished with an Adobe conference and want to upgrade my MBP 15 from 4 gb to 8gb. Have seen all the directions, etc...and it looks fairly easy...
    Is this something an old computer girl like me could handle? Am not a "dope", but don't want to void warranties, etc...but don't like having to pay APPLE $400 bucks for this upgrade that everyone seems to be installing themselves for under $100.
    How bout some direction here people. I'm all ears! Be blunt.

Thanks,
    Deb

11. rzucker macrumors newbie

I just ordered (2) 4g RAM from OWC last night. It only costed $46.00 for both.

12. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

Easy peasy. It is as easy as it looks.

13. dgc1957 macrumors newbie

Thanks for the QUICK replies.
    Anything else I can easily add while I've got the back open?

14. negativzero macrumors 6502

Add an SSD and optibay mod :)

15. that1guyy macrumors 6502

16. IngerMan macrumors 6502a

IngerMan

I just installed Crucial 8GB of ram and Crucial 256GB SSD this afternoon. I feel like I am on the 15" MBA :)

Total cost $349.98 :cool:

17. dgc1957 macrumors newbie

18. elliottfamily5 macrumors member

Phillips 00 for the screws on the back case

19. camardelle thread starter macrumors 6502

Even easier. This was so simple I've asked for some info from my son who has a '10 mbp. Once I get a confirmation about which model he has I'll be ordering some new ram for his machine from owc. I'll get a diy external hard drive for my daughter while I'm there.

It's good to be a dad! :D