RAM upgrades and SSD for 2011 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hin3sy, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Hin3sy macrumors newbie

First off, does anyone know if RAM and SSD upgrades void the warranty? I don't want to spend the money on applecare if I instantly void the warranty the second I put in new RAM and an SSD.

On a second note, as for upgrading to 8GB of RAM, what brands did you all go with? Where did you get yours from, how was the installation?

Same type of questions for the SSD. Minus installation. :p

Love to hear from you guys, Haven't got my computer yet, but it definitely look imminent.

2. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

They are both user servicable parts, the laptop comes with instructions on how to change them. It will not void your warranty.

3. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

What if something having to do with the hard drive gets messed up while you're changing it? Will that be fixed under warranty?

4. Hin3sy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick answers. I didn't think that would void the warranty, but I wasn't sure enough, so I knew there would be some macrumor pros who knew what was up.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No. Did you read the link I posted?

6. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

It wasn't there when I posted so no I didn't.

7. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    i spoke to applecare directly about this before i made the mod to my 2010 and they confirmed (pretty much whats in the link): RAM and hdd change does not void the warranty - if however you damage the sys. whilst upgradin+ labour