Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thejackinthepac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2012
Hi. I have an early 2008 macbook with 2gb of RAM running 10.5.8 OS. I can upgrade to Snow Leopard easy enough, but I was wondering if anyone can recommend any UK resources for upgrading the RAM - apparently I can go up to 4GB, but I don't know where/how to get this done, or if it's something easy enough to do oneself (does it need to be a specific type of RAM stick?!). I'm sure I can google some stuff, but any personal recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.

brop52

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2007
Michigan
Max is actually 6GB though the price for 4GB vs. 6GB may not make it worth it for 6. It does have to be a specific RAM stick. It must be a PC2-5300 DDR2 667MHz sticks.

Crucial UK 2X2GB (probably your best bang for your buck depending on your RAM needs. You can probably check your needs with something like iStat Pro advanced memory settings or the about this mac menu to check to see if you are paging out your RAM.

Crucial UK 4GB Stick to combine with Crucial UK 2GB stick in order to max out your computer at 6GB.

As for changing the RAM yourself it is very easy. See this iFixit.com guide. As they describe you need a 00 phillips screwdriver and a coin. (plus the RAM).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.