RAM upgrading question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by wrldwzrd89, Oct 17, 2007.

1. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Now that the Leopard specs are out, and some of my family's Macs do not meet the RAM requirement, I think it's time to upgrade the RAM of the Macs in question. 2 Macs are in need of an upgrade - a 1.25 GHz PowerBook G4 with 256 MB of RAM and a Rev. C iMac G5 with 512 MB of RAM. I'd like to bring both to 2GB. My questions are:

1. Is this possible?
    2. If it is, what would you recommend as an upgrade method?

My choices for #2 are:
    A. Have my local Apple retail store do all the work
    B. Buy the RAM from some third-party and install it myself
    C. Buy the RAM from some third-party and pay someone to install it

2. shellseeker macrumors newbie

I can share with you my experience with this last week.

I needed to upgrade my G4 256 MB to buy new software. I did a lot of research and decided to buy Ram from a very reputable Apple sales on-line site. I bought 1 GB, Western was the brand. When it arrived, I installed it. Very easy process.

I booted up my PB and the first thing I noticed is my date was 1969. OK, fixed that. Then system freeze. One after the other. I could not accomplish anything. So I called tech support, where I bought my Ram and they told me to remove the new Ram and boot back up and see if my the problem with freezes stops.

I removed the Ram. Booted back up and nothing. No screen, no nothing. I spent nearly two hours with their tech support, and he was good but he could not help me. No compasion from Apple for obvious reasons.

I took PB into Apple Store and left it for evaluation of problem. They called and said I needed a new hard drive. The hardrive was 13 months old.

Was this just fluke? Timing of the universe? I have no way of knowing for sure. But the simple little plan of adding ram, which by the way, many, many do sucessfully, cost me.

That's my story. So If I ever were going to do it again. I would let apple do it, but only because of my personal experience.

As far as your G4, I don't think you can upgrade to more than 1 GB. The manual that came with mine says that is the limit.

Good luck.