RAM usage with Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by bbadalucco, Aug 30, 2009.

1. bbadalucco macrumors 6502

Ever since installing snow leopard my ram has been acting different. By that I mean, when I'm encoding a blu ray in Handbrake and open Activity Monitor it shows 4GB of RAM used (this is after encoding for over two hours). With leopard it would be around 15gb RAM used after a few hours?

Is this cause for concern or expected?

2. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

What do you mean 'is this cause for concern..."? Like you need to baby sit the OS or something? Are the apps working? Yes? Then no concern, right? I don't get it.

Or maybe this is some way to say: 'Hey look! SL uses less memory!' ?? :confused:

3. bbadalucco thread starter macrumors 6502

Look, it was a rather simple question. With Leopard it would be around 15gb by this time and now only 3gb...thats a ****ing huge difference. So i was wondering if maybe something was wrong with my ram (maybe something got messed up when I installed my new GTX 285) or maybe something didn't install correctly, etc.

4. Lyshen macrumors 6502

I think a better question to ask is, has the encoding time changed from Leopard to Snow Leopard?

Is it taking abnormally long or still roughly the same?

5. bbadalucco thread starter macrumors 6502

The videos I've been encoding lately are taking much longer (since installing SL). I was getting around 26fps with a blu ray encode and now its only 12 of 13...I'm trying to determine if thats due to particular video or OS.

6. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

I guess there could be an issue with the code that counts and/or displays the amount of memory. If it were lower level than that like memory actually not being declared properly improperly seated DIMMs or etc., it would for sure be crash city. So either it's high level somewhat meaningless code malfunctioning or SL uses less memory under the environment you're working in.

7. G.T. macrumors 6502a

Do you have 15gb of RAM?

8. bbadalucco thread starter macrumors 6502

18gb...usually after 4-5 hours its at 17.98...not anymore I guess.

9. maghemi macrumors 6502

Not specifically related to memory, But I have noticed that my handbrake encodes are slower with Snow Leopard than they were with Leopard. Not an enormous amount, but enough to notice.