Ram usage?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by TimDavis, Jul 27, 2011.

1. TimDavis macrumors newbie

I just bought a new 11.6 inch i7 4gb ram macbook air and i can't help but notice how much ram it is always using. All i have opened is web browser and iTunes and it is sitting on 2.10 used ram. my old air would normally be at 1.4ish. Is this normal? I just downloaded sc2 and played it for an hour. Is playing such a graphically demanding game harmful for my macbook air?

2. Obscurelight macrumors 6502

lion requires more RAM than Snow Leopard did previously. Also if you don't overkill on the settings starcraft 2 should be fine. After all you do not buy a computer to baby it (Maybe some people do but :rolleyes:)

3. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

OS X loves RAM the more you give it the more it uses.

SC2 or anything graphically intense won't hurt your laptop.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's not harmful at all to use your Mac. That's what it was made for. You don't have to track RAM (or anything else) that closely. Just use your Mac as you normally would.

5. Gemütlichkeit macrumors 65816

Gemütlichkeit

the upside to having a SSD device is that even with 4gb of ram, it doesn't act sluggish because the speed the SSD unleashes.

I'd hate to have a 5400 RPM laptop down the road.

Also the ram is there to be used. I silently lol at people who have 16gb of ram in their windows 7 box when 1% of it gets used.. ever.