Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ViViDboarder

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 25, 2008
USA
Post your iPhone's ram usage. To keep things consistant, do this without any apps running on your phone (save maybe MobileTerminal) and do it without your phone locked.

1. Get the command line tool 'top' from Cydia
  2. SSH to your iPhone (or use MobileTerminal, you won't get to see everything though)
  3. Type 'top' (with no '')
  4. Sort by RSIZE. To sort, from 'top' type 'o' and then type '-rsize' to get the biggest hogs on top.
  5. Take a screenshot
  6. POST

If you use Grab on your Mac, you will have to be sure to save as a JPEG or something to upload to here.

Lets see what is hogging people's ram.

Attachments

• iPhoneTOP.jpg
    iPhoneTOP.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 490

meatlocker

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2008
Crap....posted in the other thread first....

Oh well.

Attachments

• meatlocker.jpg
    meatlocker.jpg
    291.5 KB · Views: 272

cjm3113

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2008
Mine only has like 5-7 processes running. Not even half of what you guys have pictured.

ViViDboarder

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 25, 2008
USA
Boy I'd say that was a key piece of information not mentioned in the initial instructions. I was wondering why the command was not recognized

Sorry about that. I didn't even realize I had installed it a while back. I'll make an edit.

Yea, there are more, you just can't see them. If you SSH in you'll be able to see more processes. That's why I asked you to sort them so you can see the important ones first.

ViViDboarder

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 25, 2008
USA

What device do you have? I'm assuming a iPhone not a touch, but what kind? You have a lot more Physical Memory than I do. You have 65 used + 20 Free, so 85 megs. I have 56 used and 11 free, so only 67 megs.

Mine is an 8GB iPhone 3G

Bear Hunter

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2008
Sorry about that. I didn't even realize I had installed it a while back. I'll make an edit.

Yea, there are more, you just can't see them. If you SSH in you'll be able to see more processes. That's why I asked you to sort them so you can see the important ones first.

Unless I am totally missing something here...you don't use Cyberduck to run the command line because you can't. From your screen shots your clearly using "Terminal" on your Mac to SSH. Last time I checked you cannot run a command line from an SFTP app. Can't comment on WinSCP because I do not use Windows.

My guess is:

1. Install "top" from Cydia
2. Open Terminal on your Mac
3. Type: ssh root@IP address
4. Enter your password: "alpine" or whatever you changed it to
5. Type 'top' (with no '')
6. Sort by RSIZE. To sort, from 'top' type 'o' and then type '-rsize' to get the biggest hogs on top.
7. Take a screenshot
8. POST

Is that about right?

ppc750fx

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2008
What device do you have? I'm assuming a iPhone not a touch, but what kind? You have a lot more Physical Memory than I do. You have 65 used + 20 Free, so 85 megs. I have 56 used and 11 free, so only 67 megs.

Mine is an 8GB iPhone 3G

:D:D:D

You all have the same amount of physical memory. All iPod Touches and iPhones have 128MB of RAM.

meatlocker

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2008

Mine is an 8GB iPhone 3G

iPhone3G, 16 GB.

Jiddick ExRex

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2006
Roskilde, DK
Weird. Why is that PDAnet is allowed to run, even with backgrounder/insomnia turned off?? :confused:

All of us have that!

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    182 KB · Views: 152

ViViDboarder

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 25, 2008
USA
Unless I am totally missing something here...you don't use Cyberduck to run the command line because you can't. From your screen shots your clearly using "Terminal" on your Mac to SSH. Last time I checked you cannot run a command line from an SFTP app. Can't comment on WinSCP because I do not use Windows.

My guess is:

1. Install "top" from Cydia
2. Open Terminal on your Mac
3. Type: ssh root@IP address
4. Enter your password: "alpine" or whatever you changed it to
5. Type 'top' (with no '')
6. Sort by RSIZE. To sort, from 'top' type 'o' and then type '-rsize' to get the biggest hogs on top.
7. Take a screenshot
8. POST

Is that about right?

I guess I just assumed people knew how to SSH. You mush SSH from a *nix terminal. So either Terminal on your Mac or if you want to SSH from Windows, Putty is a good client program. I'd strongly recommend it.

Weird. Why is that PDAnet is allowed to run, even with backgrounder/insomnia turned off?? :confused:

All of us have that!

Yea! I noticed that and MxT2 (For MxTube) on mine. Do you other guys that posted have MxTube installed? Why are these running in the background?

ppc750fx

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2008
Phone idle, no WinterBoard:

a40c2h.png

Phone idle, with WinterBoard installed but no themes/modifications enabled:

mljcyc.png

In the middle of a game of MotoRacer (no WinterBoard):

2zhikw8.png

MobileSubstrate and StatusNotifier were installed and active for all three shots.

ViViDboarder

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 25, 2008
USA
Phone idle, no WinterBoard:

<snip>

Phone idle, with WinterBoard installed but no themes/modifications enabled:

<snip>
In the middle of a game of MotoRacer (no WinterBoard):

<snip>

MobileSubstrate and StatusNotifier were installed and active for all three shots.

Very telling. So conclusions I'm drawing is that Springboard RSIZE > 10 is probably due to Winterboard. I may go ahead and ditch it again. I only use it for replacing the icons on 3 apps. Anyone got a better way to do that?

tyr2

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2006
Leeds, UK
Attached is RAM usage on a non-jailbroken phone. Taken with 'Instruments' so some usage is the instrumentation process.

Attachments

• iphone ram usage.png
    iphone ram usage.png
    98 KB · Views: 203

cjm3113

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2008
So obviously Springboard is a hog (and necessarily so), but over twice the usage with Winterboard? Hmm..

ppc750fx

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2008
Yep. Looks like Winterboard's got memory issues.

(Plus I've noticed it seems to have a couple slow memory leaks.)

SpringBoard may seem like it takes up a lot of RAM, but keep in mind: it's also responsible for managing App Store applications, providing the seatbelt loading/profile compilation, in addition to its 1.x.x duties....

cjm3113

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2008
What if you have Winterboard installed, but nothing "on." Same usage as if you didn't have it installed? Or is it still using some memory?

ViViDboarder

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 25, 2008
USA
What if you have Winterboard installed, but nothing "on." Same usage as if you didn't have it installed? Or is it still using some memory?

Above someone posted and it shows increased memory usage all the same.

If I start getting worried about speed (I'm quick enough as it is now) Winterboard is the first thing to go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.