Ram/Video Card Upgrade

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by PHISH007, Feb 21, 2008.

1. PHISH007 macrumors newbie

Hey all, so I have a dual 2.0 ghz G5 powerpc, 2.5 gigs of ram, superdrive, & the original video card which I think its a 64mb. I recently installed LEOPARD and although its georgeous, its seems like my mac is actually running slower. Well my initial guess is that I need to at least upgrade the video card & possibly the ram. What do you guys think? I do alot of work in photoshop/illustrator/indesign etc. If you have any videocard upgrade suggestions Im ready to hear them or any other suggestions to get me up and running fast! that would be awesome. thx all.

-R

2. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

A new video card wont do SQUAT for 2D apps like PS/ILL etc.....
    It would, however, greatly improve OS X performance with regards to the GUI and the eye candy......

More ram OTOH, will almost ALWAYS improve performance in just about any app as well as the OS.....PS can suck up 2GB all by itself, and that only leaves OS X a less-than-minimum 512mb before it has to hit the swap file/VM.......this is most likely the cause of your shlowdownies :p

Do you have any scratch disk(s) set up for PS to use ? If not, doing so will also improve it's performance considerably, as long as the SD is on a seperate HDD from the app & OS......do NOT use any space on the boot drive as a SD.....that gets REAL ugly, REAL fast :eek:

3. PHISH007 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well im most likely going to add another 2gb of ram, get me up to 4.5gb's. The video card is something Id really like to dive into but I dont know which one to get.. this is only because i have an older g5 and Im pretty sure it doesnt have pci-x.. do you have a suggestion of a vid card to buy?