RAM Voltage

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by GeoffWillis, Mar 11, 2012.

1. GeoffWillis, Mar 11, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2012

GeoffWillis macrumors newbie

I've seen much discussion about MBP memory upgrades to 16MB, but when I looked today, I seen two different voltage ratings for the chip set. The Crucial kit lists a low voltage of 1.35v, while everybody else (Corsair, G.SKILL...) are 1.5 volts (And considerably cheaper). My question is, if battery live is primary concern, will the low voltage RAM help the battery in the MBP last longer? Is that the reason some "Official Mac" memory is so expensive?
    Thanks, looking forward to the upgrade, just wanna make sure I buy the right set.
    Geoff

2. shootist macrumors regular

The slight 1.5V difference won't make much difference in battery life.

The system can use either. Not sure there is a difference. I bought the 1.35 as it does use less power, less power less heat.

3. drambuie macrumors 6502a

The RAM operating voltage is set by the memory controller, which is located on the CPU chip. The RAM will run at that voltage.

4. bill-p macrumors 65816

No. Lower volt RAM doesn't affect battery life at all. I tried Crucial's 8GB 1.35v kit on mine. No effect.

And no. That's not the reason. Official Mac RAM is expensive because the seller wants to charge more.

5. GeoffWillis thread starter macrumors newbie

Time to buy!

Thanks all, looks like the crucial memory gets ordered today. Should have 16GB by weeks end, still so much to learn as this is my first Mac. Started with a Radio Shack model 100 Laptop (8080 chip, 8 line x 40 char LCD display and 300 baud modem) in 81, countless windows and unix boxes in between.
    Geoff