RAM, whats best?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Josh Kahane, Aug 5, 2008.

1. Josh Kahane macrumors 6502

Hi

I am looking into getting a Macbook around christmas time. I was wondering about the RAM. People say it highly increases the performance of your mac, more you have the faster. Particularly with having an integrated graphics card as well.

I was going to upgrade to 2Gbs most probably when buying it. Now im thinking, is there a big difference between 1 and 2Gbs? Also Is there a big difference between 2 and 4Gbs? If it helps allot i may even go for 4.

Any help much appreciated, thanks.

2. benh- macrumors member

I would personally go for the 2.1ghz model with 1gb ram. This is what I got back in April, as recommended by Apple staff in store. I was playing around on two Macbooks. One as a 2.1ghz model with additional ram (2gb), and I loaded up Final Cut Pro (top end editing software). I noticed no difference, and both machines coped well. So yeh, go with the 2.1ghz 1gb ram...you can always upgrade later...!

As for the 4gb I couldn't comment! Btw, they are planning on a new Macbook before Christmas I think, September time. Macbook's are great!

3. gungrave70 macrumors newbie

It really depends on what you will be using your macbook for, if you are gonig to be doing simple tasks such as surfing the net and the like than you should not worry, but if you are intending to do frequently use things such as photoshop,final cut pro,and others than i would recommend the ram upgrade, Currently i am running a 2.4 Ghz core duo macbook with 4 gigs of ram and all of my editing software runs smoothly

4. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

If I buy a MB now.. it'll definitely be the mid 2.4 White which has the best value for money AND 2GB RAM!

1GB v/s 2GB makes a LOT of difference! Specially if you're planning Win and/or a VM!

If you have the bucks.... you can get 4GB too but its expensive and 2GB is good enough! But for sureshot... in a notebook that doesnt have a VGA and so a vRAM... 2GB is a must!

P.S.: It might be worth waiting for September!

5. Josh Kahane thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, well yes i use final cut and regularly use my mac, (when i say regularly i mean pretty much constantly). It will probably have quite a few things going on at once etc. I wont get a Macbook till at least christmas so yep, hopefully a new Macbook will come out with a better spec for the same price as well.