RAM: Which Manufacturer?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kwong2006, Nov 20, 2007.

1. kwong2006 macrumors regular

I was wondering which manufacturer I should buy my new RAM from. Are Mushkin and PQI good RAM manufacturers? What about Transcend?

2. wsteineker macrumors 6502a

wsteineker

RAM is RAM. The top tier manufacturers (Crucial, Samsung, etc.) are going to charge you a little more but they *might* offer a better warranty. If my machine is a business production unit then I might consider spending a little extra just to have the peace of mind. Mid tier suppliers (Kingston, Mushkin, etc.) are, for all intents and purposes, the exact same product as the top tier guys at a decent discount. It's perfect for the average user. As for the more generic stuff (like the Transcend DIMMs I just bought from Fry's), it's usually the exact same stuff at lower prices due to a lack of overhead recovery. By that I mean that Crucial advertises HEAVILY, Kinsgton pretty noticeably, and Transcend non-existently. There's a LOT of money to be saved in not advertising. In the end, buy what you're comfortably buying. I've had Crucial RAM, Samsung RAM and Kingston RAM fail, whereas I've had generic OWC RAM running for four years in my everyday use 12" PowerBook without so much as a hiccup. Me personally? I'm done spending more for a name brand.

3. je1ani macrumors 6502

I am really starting to like OWC.. i've had 3 orders PERFECTLY smooth with them.. and they all answered my emails promptly and I will continue to use them ;)

4. snickelfritz macrumors 65816

snickelfritz

OWC is a good choice for Mac.
    Cheap, fast, and compatible.

5. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

This is why I love MacRumors. I need more RAM for my Mac Pro.

I have a question. On OWC's site for Mac Pro memory, they list "OWC Mac Pro Certified" memory that is more expensive than "OWC Apple Qualified" memory. What is the difference, other than price? I need to know 'cuz I'm slapping more memory into this beast as soon as possible. :apple:

6. sash macrumors 6502a

sash

Smart decision.

I've always used Kingston with no problem at all... In fact, my first G4 is running on Kingston for like 7-8 years. I've recently upgraded my MBP and G5 with Samsung though... The difference in price was quite negligible.

Cheers,
    sash

7. thebill macrumors member

OWC also has lifetime warranty. I've used many times & no trouble.

Oddly their web address is http://eshop.macsales.com/ just to speed up your search. :D

8. byakuya macrumors 6502a

byakuya

I've heard good stuff about kingston also...
    and they are cheaper than the brand RAMs
    warranty is also pretty good as far as I can remember.

9. wsteineker macrumors 6502a

wsteineker

Kingston's good stuff. I've only had one DIMM fail out of what I imagine to be 20 or so pieces used over the years. That one was an easy fix because I bought it at Best Buy. ;)

10. hartwork macrumors member

I think the price difference comes from the fact that the "OWC Mac Pro Certified" is specifically designed for Mac Pro's whereas the "OWC Apple Qualified" is more generic

I purchased 4GB of OWC RAM recently and have had no problems whatsoever. In Australia, 4GB of RAM will set you back anywhere up to $USD700. Ridiculous.

11. kwong2006 thread starter macrumors regular

What do you guys think about G.Skill? I seriously want to know about the brand because I want to know if it is reliable.

12. byakuya macrumors 6502a

byakuya

I think as long the specifications are met and the warranty is decent you can go with any RAM regardless of the brand.

13. marclapierre13 macrumors 6502a

marclapierre13

actually, crucial, mushkin, samsung, hyperix, are all Tier 1.
    apple uses all of these apparently.

14. joegomolski macrumors 6502

joegomolski

RAM: Which Manufacturer?

I used to do a search online to get the cheapest RAM I could find, and buy it.

I don't recommen doing that, I don't anymore.

The reason being, that I got burnt once, with bad RAM.

Corollary , I can find my RAM online, but I always call the vendor, to be absolutely sure that I'll be getting exactacly the RAM I need.

For the last few years I have been buying all of my RAM through OWC, their url is macsales.com. Their service, and prices too, are excellent.

15. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

OCZ and Corsair are the best barnone desktop ram. Youd want some of that for a mac pro running heavy apps. They have no real competition for ultra performance ram except maybe Patriot.

Other good ram:
    G Skill (their price/performance ratio is unrivaled)
    Crucial
    Patriot
    Geil

I would 100% stay away from PNY... Kingston ram or the other department store stuff that are always getting rebates can be a gamble. Kingston can be good or it can be horrible, it probably is the least consistent ram manufacturer, never ever buy Kingston without looking at a customer rating.

If youre looking for performance in a Mac Pro then I would go with OCZ, if you want great quality for a low price then I would go with G Skill. For most people I think G Skill is the best ram brand out right now thanks to their great prices and quality that exceeds most other "notable" brands like Crucial.

Samsung does not normally sell ram, it is a generic OEM manufacturer. Nothing special about them.

16. seany916 macrumors 6502

OWC & Crucial are the only aftermarket brands we use. Higher end external HDs too.

No point in having important components fail on you.

Many of the "problems" that people have can be attributed to cheap RAM after it goes bad.

Your money, Your Mileage WILL Vary

17. Megatron macrumors regular

I just bought 2 x 2GB of transcend RAM for my macbook pro.

Transcend uses Micron chips (the exact same chips Crucial uses). Just got my 2 sticks today and they have the nice little "M" logo on all of the ram chips.

I paid $59.50 per ram stick at the transcend store, part number TS256MSQ64V6U:

http://ec.transcendusa.com/product/ItemDetail.asp?exid=1&ItemID=TS256MSQ64V6U

Just make sure you buy the standard memory line and not the jetram memory line - that is their value line and doesn't use micron chips as far as I can tell.

No need to pay more for crucial...

18. lightsout macrumors member

19. lightsout macrumors member

20. Megatron macrumors regular

By following that link I found a 4GB kit (2 x 2GB) for 163.99. At Transcend's site (as I described above which uses the very same micron chips that crucial uses) it's ~$120.