RAM & wireless ?????

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bleuhhhh, Sep 1, 2007.

1. bleuhhhh macrumors newbie

I'd like to know if the difference between 2 and 4 Gig of memory in the new iMac will be noticable when using programs like Photoshop or Illustrator? Here in Canada, it cost 750$ to upgrade from 2 to 4 gig, so, would i be winner if i just wait about 2 years and then buy some memory for upgrade? Also, i already have a PC here, and i will have to get a wireless router. So, my question is, if i configure a wireless network, will the connection will fail on my iMac if it is pu to sleep? Will, for example, a Messenger session still be active when it will be asleep? ANd also, does it worth the pain to buy Apple Airport Extreme, or could a normal router do the same thing for less?

2. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

I'd say wait a couple years, then upgrade the ram to 4 Gigs. You probably wont use all of it right now, and it will be waaay cheaper in the future when you actually need it. As for the internet failing on sleep, Yes. It will stop your internet connection, there is no way around this unless ofcourse you just use a screen saver instead of sleeping your computer. This goes for both wired and wireless internet, and it's not just mac specific either.

Hope that helped.

3. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

If your computer is asleep, then no, you won't be connected to the internet. Other routers are fine, I myself have a Dlink Dir-655 which is great. Buying third party ram would be cheaper then getting it from Apple directly.