RAM won't go in slot

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by keithmontalbo, Jul 5, 2012.

1. keithmontalbo macrumors newbie

So I'm installing two new 4gb RAM things to speed up my iMac. I have two problems here:

1. The black strips don't eject the old 2gb RAMs when pulled (Wanted to compare the RAMs with the newer ones)

2. The newer RAMs I have don't fit into the slot. I mean, they go in, sure, but at a certain point (just before they click in), they seem to completely stop. No amount of force I put seems to insert it more. Heck, when I pushed, my entire iMac was the one moving. I don't hear any clicking noises and the new RAMs seem to stick out like a tiny bit when compared to the already-inserted ones.

Yes, I checked the alignment of the gold things and they match up fine. Could it be possible that the black strips have something to do with this?

Also I own a late 2009 27" iMac and this is my first time upgrading RAM.

This is on the RAM's sticker:
    FA-8500 CL7D-8GBSQ
    DDR-1066 CL7-7-7-20 1.50v
    PC3-8500 4Gx2 SODIMM

Any help at all will be appreciated

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

If it doesn't fit, then one of two things is wrong: It's the wrong type of RAM, or you've got it facing the wrong way. Also, pulling on the black strips will pop the RAM that's already installed out partway, but you'll have to pull it out the rest of the way. If it's not, you're probably not pulling hard enough.

jW

3. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

I'm not gonna check whether you bought the right RAM, some googeling should help you with that. (I was so kind to look this up for you)

If your RAM matches, you probably should push harder. Although you actually shouldn't force it (kind of contradicting, I know).

But make sure the RAM is aligned with the slot, so it goes straight in, and not under an angle.

My experience with RAM in the 2008 iMac is that it takes quite some force pushing in and getting out. It feels like breaking. Perhaps I'm doing in wrong...