Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jer446

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2004
Im soon going to buy a powerbook, after mwsf. I will probably buy bto, and upgrade the ram myself. How much does a stick of 1gb ram usually cost? Does it make a huge difference on the manufacturer? Would it be better to get a 1 gb stick from a lower manufacturer than a 512 stick from a good manufacturer?
Also, what is the markup on ram, because i can buy it from bestbuy where i get it for almost their cost, so is the markup a lot? Hopefully it is lol. I saw people saying how a stick of 1gb only cost them like 150, but everywhere ive looked is like 300.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
First and foremost: do not buy from anywhere that can't explicitly guarantee the RAM will work on your PB. A slight spec mismatch, and you'll be in kernel panic hell. Could be wrong, but i don't think BB carries PB-spec'd RAM. Maybe it does.

Second: other than that, buy where it's cheapest. Recommended sites here include Crucial, Kingston, and OWC. Just don't save $100 and end up screwing up your new PB.

jer446

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2004
really? anyone else have more info they seem way to expensive so ill probably end up buying online anyways. Also, a little off topic, but does the pb come with the minidvi to vga adapter?

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
jer446 said:
really? anyone else have more info they seem way to expensive so ill probably end up buying online anyways. Also, a little off topic, but does the pb come with the minidvi to vga adapter?
The 12" comes with mini-DVI to VGA. The others come with DVI to VGA.

As far as RAM: just don't buy from Apple. And keep in mind that the cheap ("inexpensive", not "bad") PC RAM from BB likely won't work in your PB.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
jer446 said:

And a mini-DVI to DVI adapter, along with a mini-DVI to VGA adapter. :D

Also, do a search to find out what kinda fun stuff there is on RAM. The question has been asked quite a bit, believe it or not.

Linkety shows you how to search if you don't know how (look a tad bit...)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.