Ram

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Garrett998, Nov 12, 2011.

1. Garrett998 macrumors member

I just ordered my first Macbook Pro, it's a new late-2011 15" model. :D

2.4GHz quad-core Intel i7
    4 GB RAM
    750GB 7200 RPM HDD
    AMD Radeon HD 6770M with 1GB GDDR5
    15" High-res anti-glare screen

It should be delivered by the end of this coming week and I'm quite excited for it. However, I'd like to go on and upgrade to 8GB of RAM when I get it. Could someone recommend a RAM model to me? I'm looking for quality, but at a reasonable price tag.

Thanks.

2. zaxdude, Nov 12, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2011

zaxdude macrumors 6502

Good grief...another non-searcher. There are probably 5+ very recent threads on this very same question. One was posted on this today even.

That little search link/box in the upper right will do wonders for ya if you simply type in "RAM".

...and thanks to whomever neg'd me for stating the truth for needing to search. i have NEVER created a thread because i have found ALL of my answers through searching and learning.

3. Garrett998 thread starter macrumors member

What is the difference between:

www.crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=FCCCB61BA5CA7304

and

www.crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=E9254B14A5CA7304

Which of these two would you recommend, if either.

It seems like one just takes less energy? But they cost the same, so I should go for the 1.35V one?
    ----------

I found something that recommended Crucial after shifting through quite a number of not helpful posts.

4. thundersteele macrumors 68030

different voltage. No idea how this is good or bad or what to recommend. There are two pieces of advice that I recall reading frequently:
    1) get brand memory
    2) buy low latency (CL) memory

Now 2) confuses me a bit, since the only 2x4GB sets with DDR3-1333 ram that I find have 9 ms CL.

Some brands offer PC10666 vs. PC10600 memory. Google says that both are the same and it's just a marketing trick.

5. zaxdude macrumors 6502

Sometimes it takes looking at a few of unhelpful ones to find the helpful one:

Memory for CURRENT GEN MBPs

6. Garrett998 thread starter macrumors member

After looking into several brands I just feel worse. Every brand seems plagued with reviews of multiple DOA/failures/Kernel Panics. They aren't unknown brands either: Corsair and Crucial....

7. zaxdude, Nov 12, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2011

zaxdude macrumors 6502

Plagued? I'd think that's a little harsh. No matter what brand you choose, there's always going to be some negative reviews. It's the nature of the beast.

The Corsair memory that I used, model CMSO8GX3M2A1333C9, gets a 4 outta five ranking on Newegg, and on Amazon it gets 326 five-stars and 38 four stars (along with some 3, 2 & 1 star ratings -- never gonna please everyone).

Mine wasn't DOA. I've not been using the new RAM for long, but I've experienced zero failures and no Kernel Panics. I'm not saying they will never occur, but I'm not at all expecting any.

Just pick whatever you can find the best price on with Corsair, Crucial or Kingston. The odds are in your favor that you won't experience the plague.

8. ncstatered21 macrumors regular

9. Mersailios macrumors regular

You need to take the complaints that you see on a forum with a grain of salt, as it's only showing one side of the story - there are a lot of happy people out there that haven't had any issues with their equipment and therefore haven't made any posts saying so (in fact, it's a lot like walking into a hospital - you're going to see mostly people who are sick).

Just FYI, I upgraded my MacBook Pro with 8 GB of RAM from Crucial and haven't had a single problem with it. It's allowed me to multi-task to my hearts content all day for weeks on end without having to restart my computer and has enabled me to be a bit more productive overall; I'd highly recommend it.

Basically what you're looking for in memory is DDR3, 1333 MHz speed, 1.5V, Non ECC. And don't buy memory with heat spreaders attached as they will be extremely difficult to fit in the slots inside your MacBook Pro or may not fit at all.

This memory should work just fine with your MacBook Pro: http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=FCCCB61BA5CA7304

Hope that helps, have a great day. :)