Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wild.urge

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2011
Hello,
I don't own a MacBook, so I am not even sure what I am talking about, I would be very greatfull for any help.
My boyfriend owns a MacBook Pro, from 2009 ( late summer ). He wants to add more RAM to it. I thought it would be a nice surprise for him to buy it as a gift, but the ones sold on the apple website are pretty expensive for me. To my understanding, Apple doesn't use any unique RAM so it could be replaced by many brands, although from what I read not all of them will work properly (or at all). So my question is what can I buy that will work well, but won't cost too much. I was also thinking to maybe get him the new OS X Lion, will that wrok with it? Some people were saying that they need to change the SDS after they changed the RAM. . . I don't even know what that is . . .
Thanks for the help

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
You Are Right

Hello,
I don't own a MacBook, so I am not even sure what I am talking about, I would be very greatfull for any help.
My boyfriend owns a MacBook Pro, from 2009 ( late summer ). He wants to add more RAM to it. I thought it would be a nice surprise for him to buy it as a gift, but the ones sold on the apple website are pretty expensive for me. To my understanding, Apple doesn't use any unique RAM so it could be replaced by many brands, although from what I read not all of them will work properly (or at all). So my question is what can I buy that will work well, but won't cost too much. I was also thinking to maybe get him the new OS X Lion, will that wrok with it? Some people were saying that they need to change the SDS after they changed the RAM. . . I don't even know what that is . . .
Thanks for the help

You can buy the correct RAM from crucial (google it) If you can, do it on your boyfriends Mac, it will correctly identify exactly what you have installed, and what you can upgrade to.

zaxdude

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2011
Hello,
Thanks for the help

TONS of info on RAM in multiple threads. That little forum link to Search is a great tool.

Here's one in particular you may find useful:

2009 mbp RAM

Search for product numbers at online retailers such as FRY's, NewEgg, Amazon, etc. Memory is on sale all the time with rebates. I did my 8GB upgrade for 25 bux.

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
Hmm, to be safe, why not buy him a gift card? $40 - 50 should be enough, and he can pick the brand and whatever other stuff he thinks is important.

OSX Lion might also be a nice surprise. However they only sell it in the app store, i.e. it's just a digital present... I would go with the giftcard, most of the shops that zaxdude mentioned sell those.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.