Ram

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by greeley, Mar 7, 2016.

1. greeley macrumors regular

greeley

im the owner of a iPhone 6. I use the web browser to keep online manuals and other work info, I'm getting tired of the refreshing tho. I've owned android devices and their browsers have been better about it.

I've been holding off till the iPhone 7, but if it has the same ram as the 6s will it be much of a upgrade?

I'm talking 15-20 tabs open. I'd like atleast 5 tabs i could keep without refreshing

2. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

It's hard to say how much of an upgrade it will be. Historically the huge jumps in processing power have happened in the S cycle. If you're number one criteria is tabs, I doubt you'll see much performance increase in the 7 over the 6s again, based on apples track record.

As a side.note, I don't know that I've every had 20 tabs open on my 6s plus but I frequently keep 5-10 open and they don't reload at all so long as I don't start opening many other apps up or exit safari for multiple hours at a time. It's night and day from my 6 plus. I could close every app and open three tabs and the first tab would already be reloading when I went back to it. Worst apple product purchase of my life.

3. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

2gb of RAM in iOS is quite good. Definitely noticeable from 1gb as far as Safari tabs go.

I've seen recent videos pitting the Samsung s7 Edge vs the iPhone 6s and in the couple I watched both times the 6s beat the s7 Edge with refreshing apps (s7 had to refresh while the 6s didn't) And the s7 has 4gb. (Now this is also due to Samsung's having RAM management issues in s6 and now s7)

iOS handles RAM really efficiently, they've only started to use 2gb, so iOS hasn't pushed the limits of 2 yet. So don't get too discouraged when seeing iPhones with half the RAM of an Android. Android almost by design requires more because there is far more hardware configurations and carrier bloat, and manufacturer skins (like TouchWiz)

If you're holding out for the 7, there are rumours that the top end Plus (or rumoured to be called Pro) might have 3gb. Which in iOS is almost overkill for the time being. (iPad Pro 12.9" nothing ever reloads with 4gb)

4. greeley thread starter macrumors regular

greeley

For apps I'm fine, it's just the browser I need the ram for. I'm not a fan of the Plus models, it's too bulky and my 6Plus died on me. When Apple recplaced it, I changed it for a iPhone 6.

So hopefully new smaller iPhone 7 will be good enough.

It's going to be a long year, all the 6s ads and stuff are super tempting. The new 3d touch looks really cool.

5. Applefan4 macrumors 6502

The 6S completely fixes the reloading of safari tabs. 2gb of RAM is huge.

6. PortableLover macrumors 6502a

Cant speak for iphones but my air 2 flyyyys with the 2gb of ram and i believe the processor is as fast as the a9 in the 6s. I normally have at least 9-10 tabs open and no refreshes.

7. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

The point I was making with the apps is that iOS handles 2gb far more efficiently than competitors with 3 or 4gb.

That same better RAM management performance on apps translates into Safari tabs as well.

8. macfacts macrumors 68000

macfacts

Apple could easily fix this by using the flash storage for cache files and loading from there instead of retrieving the page again from the internet when other apps use the ram. Other ios browsers have same problem because they are just skins for safari.

9. greeley thread starter macrumors regular

greeley

I went and ordered the 6s, figured I can always trade up for the 7 when its on sale. Bought my current iPhone for cheaper on a fathers day discount